This one-of-a-kind dessert is almost too pretty to eat. When you mix the beloved Starbucks® Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee into a cozy fall classic, the result is something seasonally sensational. Pie artist Lauren Ko explains, “I’ve combined pumpkin pie, a dessert closely associated with fall, and flan, one of my favorite family traditions, to create a new dessert that feels uniquely me in both flavor and design.” Make it for yourself and follow Lauren Ko @lokokitchen for more picturesque pies.
Pumpkin Spice Pie
Makes 1 pie
21⁄2 cups (350 grams) all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon Starbucks® Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee grounds
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 sticks (227 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into 1⁄2-inch cubes
- Combine the flour, sugar, coffee grounds, and kosher salt in a food processor, and pulse several times to incorporate. Sprinkle the butter cubes evenly over the surface of the dry mixture and pulse quickly 20 to 25 times to break up the cubes into smaller pieces.
- Turn the mixture out into a large mixing bowl. Sift through with a spatula for unprocessed butter cubes and flatten any pieces larger than a walnut with your pointer finger and thumb.
- Add 6 tablespoons of the cold brewed coffee, and fluff the moisture through the flour with a spatula. Continue adding cold coffee 1 tablespoon at a time, pressing the dough with a spatula after each addition until it begins to come together. Avoid heavy kneading, as overworking the dough will lead to a tough crust.
- When the dough just begins to hold together, turn it out onto your work surface and gently form it into a mound with your hands. Divide the dough in half with a knife, and wrap each dough portion tightly in plastic. Gently press the wrapped dough portions to press into a round, flat disk. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight before rolling.
- On a floured surface, roll 1 disk of dough into a 14-inch circle. Roll the dough onto your rolling pie and unfurl it over a 9-inch pie pan. Taking the edges of the dough, gently ease the dough in, nestling it into the inner elbows of the pie pan. Trim the excess dough with kitchen shears to create a 1-inch overhang. Fold the overhang back under, creating an elevated edge. Crimp the dough all the way around the pie edge.
- Freeze the pie shell until solid, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line the frozen pie shell tightly with foil. Fill to the top with pie weights and place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the foil no longer sticks to the dough. Remove the foil and pie weights and bake the crust for another 10 minutes.
- While the pie shell blind bakes, roll the second disk of dough into a 12-inch circle and place on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Use a paring knife and a cardboard stencil to trace pumpkin shapes in the dough. For a geometric look, cut each pumpkin pie into an assortment of triangles and polygons.
- Transfer the dough pieces to a separate sheet of parchment paper, leaving space between the pieces. Slide the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and crisp.
- While the pumpkin pieces bake, assemble the fillings.
Pumpkin Spice Pie Filling
½ cup (113 grams) pumpkin puree
⅓ cup (113 grams) condensed milk
1 egg yolk
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
2 large eggs
1⁄2 cup (170 grams) condensed milk
1⁄2 cup (118 milliliters) milk
1⁄4 cup (59 milliliters) brewed Starbucks® Pumpkin Spice Flavored Coffee, cold
- Combine all the ingredients for the pumpkin spice pie filling in a bowl, and whisk until well-mixed. Set aside. In a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients for the flan filling and whisk until well-mixed. Set aside.
- Pour the pumpkin spice pie filling into the blind-baked pie shell, and smooth the surface. Gently ladle in flan filling, taking care not to disturb the pumpkin filling. Place the filled pie on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake for 40-50 minutes until the flan filling is just barely set. The center should retain a slight wobble.
- Arrange the baked pumpkin pie pieces on the surface of the pie, and allow the entire pie to cool completely before slicing and serving.