The seven men will be subjected to an external investigation
Last week, the New York Times broke a story about a pattern of sexual harassment and abuse within the Court of Master Sommeliers, Americas, the non-profit that oversees the process by which wine experts can assume the coveted title of master sommelier. The court has now suspended seven men, including co-founder Fred Dame, who all hold the title of master sommelier, and who were accused of sexual harassment by women who were candidates of that title.
The seven men will be barred from participating in any court activities, but the organization stopped short of revoking their membership altogether, pending a California hearing process. Geoff Kruth, one of the leading educators in the court, resigned on Sunday, as numerous women accused him of manipulating them into sex. Matthew Citriglia was also one of the men suspended. The original Times report recounts Citriglia allegedly shutting student Alexandra Fox out of classes and training after she rejected his sexual advances.
The scandal at the Court of Master Sommeliers highlights the ongoing sexism within the wine industry. The Court issued an apology on Sunday, saying it “recognizes that it has failed its membership, our industry, and most importantly, the women who bravely shared their stories,” and that the “investigation will be led by an outside, independent firm, which will examine all allegations to the fullest extent possible.”
And in other news...
- Aurify Brands has bought Maison Kayser’s NYC locations, and plans to turn them into Le Pain Quotidiens. [NRN]
- Teamster’s Local 445 members who drive delivery trucks for Whole Foods are threatening to strike, claiming Whole Foods has failed to supply them with PPE, and hasn’t disinfected their trucks. [NYPost]
- Great British Bake Off finalist Luis Troyano has died of esophageal cancer. The show put out a statement, saying “It was a huge honour and pleasure to have him in the Bake Off Tent for Series Five. Our condolences and thoughts go out to his friends and family.” [EW]
- Cheesecake Factory is doing really well with to-go business, even as in-restaurant dining resumes. [RB]
- It’s the day after the election, do you know where the Chinese food near you is?:
Top trending on all of US Google search right now in the US:— GoogleTrends (@GoogleTrends) November 3, 2020
1. exit polls
2. live election coverage
3. chinese food near me
4. who won the election today
5. election coverage
More data: https://t.co/nfYDxkDMAT