The beef originated from a New Jersey plant
The USDA is recalling almost 43,000 pounds of ground beef from a New Jersey plant, which include the brands Thomas Farms and Marketside Butcher Organic. The E. coli problem was reportedly found during routine testing, and no one has gotten sick. Still, at a time when COVID-19 cases are rising in most parts of the country, the risk of hospitalization is even more concerning.
It’s just another reminder of how quickly disease can spread within a meatpacking plant, both within the product itself and among workers.
And in other news...
- It’s basically impossible to work at a safe distance in a poultry plant. [NYTimes]
- A McDonald’s employee in Missouri worked for a week while symptomatic with COVID-19. [Fox Business]
- Oh thank god, the Hollywood Power Lunch is returning. [Hollywood Reporter]
- Burglars stole 40 salmon fillets from an Annapolis restaurant. [CBS Baltimore]
- Burger King is making an Impossible Foods sausage breakfast sandwich. [CNBC]
- Louis Vuitton opened a restaurant in Osaka, and it looks swank as hell. [Time Out]
- At a Trader Joe’s in Seattle, workers are facing job loss after participating in Black Lives Matter protests. [Twitter]
- The pandemic hunger crisis, like the pandemic itself, is not going away any time soon. [The Atlantic]