So long, search results based on what you searched
If you were excited about Yelp being the last place that didn’t sort your feed based on some algorithm you have no control over, welp, sorry. According to OneZero, Yelp is rolling out a new version of its app that’ll sort your search results based on what it’s determined you want to see, based on information you’ve provided. So “If you have young kids, you might see family activities like a children’s museum featured in the app on a Saturday morning instead of, say, boozy brunch spots. If you need gender-neutral bathrooms, Yelp will highlight businesses that offer them over those that don’t.” Which actually sounds pretty nice!
Of course that comes with the caveat of yet another corporation having access to your private information, and that maybe sometimes you want to search for something that does not fall within the parameters of what Yelp thinks you normally want. But the transparency counts for something, especially since they’re still in hot water for funneling phone calls through GrubHub to make extra money.
And in other news...
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian went to the Dayton, Ohio, Cheesecake Factory two nights in a row. Teyana Taylor also went to the same restaurant the day after. Somebody please tell us what kind of cheesecake Kanye likes. [NYPost]
- This is why tomatoes taste bad after you put them in the fridge. [Digg]
- You will now be able to get Panera Bread delivered through Uber Eats, DoorDash, and GrubHub, instead of using their in-house delivery. [NRN]
- Papa John’s is appointing the former President of Arby’s as their new CEO, as founder John Schnatter continues to sell off his stock. [Fox Business]
- A profile of California’s “Produce Hunter.” [NYTimes]
- Eddie Huang is writing and directing a movie called Boogie, about a Chinese-American kid with dreams of becoming an NBA star. [Deadline]
- Franklin BBQ is developing a line of home smokers, and auctioning off the first prototype to benefit Les Dames D’Escoffier’s Austin chapter. [Franklin BBQ]
- A French butcher is making sausages with CBD. [Vice]
- A teen spent the weekend at a Charlotte, North Carolina, Popeyes, registering everyone on line for the sandwich to vote. [NYPost]