If you haven’t heard, Popeyes introduced a crispy chicken sandwich that a lot of people across America liked. The enthusiasm for this sandwich begat a brand Twitter war as well as four solid days of hot takes from writers debating its merits (by the way, more updates to come at eater.com!). Here’s a rough timeline of the internet buzz surrounding this sandwich:
Monday: The Popeyes Sandwich is Good!
Tuesday: The Popeyes Sandwich Is Good, but Hard to Acquire!
Wednesday: The Popeyes Sandwich Is Bad Because Fast Food Is Bad!
Thursday: The Popeyes Sandwich Is Whatever
Imagine what future headlines will be written about this sandwich between now and Labor Day. Here are 17 possibilities, with potential publications that might run these stories:
- How ‘The Matrix’ Predicted the Rise of the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [Vulture]
- Trump Calls Popeyes Chicken Sandwich a ‘Sad Excuse for a Taco’ [CNN]
- ‘Old Town Road’ Is Back at No. 1 After Lil Nas X Releases ‘Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Remix’ [Pitchfork]
- Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Replaces Sean Spicer on DWTS [People]
- Alleged Jeffrey Epstein Madam Ghislaine Maxwell Photographed Eating Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [The Mirror UK]
- Photo of Alleged Jeffrey Epstein Madam Ghislaine Maxwell Eating Chicken Sandwich Is a Hoax [Page Six]
- Impossibly Hard Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Quiz Will Tell You Which Hogwarts Professor You Are [Buzzfeed]
- This Tweet From the Popeyes Sandwich Could Bring Down Trump [HuffPo]
- A Crisis of Faith in the Popeyes Line [Heated by Mark Bittman]
- With Lines Out the Door, a Louisiana Kitchen Faces a Moment of Truth [NYT]
- Fate of Spider-Man Film Franchise Hinges on Availability of Popeyes Chicken Sandwich [Hollywood Reporter]
- The Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Is... Kind of Hot? [The Cut]
- Joe Biden Likes Popeyes Chicken Sandwich, But Concedes That Chick-fil-A Is “Also A-Okay” [Vox]
- I Sold Chloë Sevigny a Popeyes Chicken Sandwich (And It Was Weird) [Vice]
- Who Needs the Popeyes Chicken Sandwich When I’ve Got a Dirty Water Dog in the Basement of Penn Station? [NYP; columnist Steve Cuozzo]
- A Popeyes Chicken Sandwich Is Actually What’s Behind the Curtain in Trump Painting, “The Masterpiece’ [Fox News]
- Black Rock City Is a Ghost Town as Burners Flock to Nevada Popeyes Instead [Boing Boing]