Ma’am, this is a Walmart
The rule at a grocery store is if you sneak a few grapes or open a box of crackers for your hungry kid while doing your shopping, you still pay for the whole thing at the checkout counter. But a Texas woman attempted to rewrite the rules of both etiquette and capitalism when she demanded that she only have to pay half-price for a cake at Walmart. Why? Because she ate the other half while walking around the store.
Wichita Falls Police were called to Walmart after the woman refused to pay for the missing cake — which was not missing, it was just in her stomach. Eventually she was forced to pay and was banned from that Walmart. It’s not like Walmart needs the money (though as of 2017 Walmart takes shoplifting costs out of employee’s bonuses), but at least, lady, have a better story of where the rest of the cake went. [People]
And in other news...
- The EPA says factory farms don’t have to disclose their emissions from animal waste, which is supposedly good news for farmers but bad news for anyone living near a factory farm. And also the environment. [Civil Eats]
- A viral video shows a woman licking ice cream and then putting it back in the store freezer, which could technically be considered the felony of food tampering. [USA Today]
- Longhorn Steakhouse is serving steak and bourbon ice cream, made with jerky and “steak sprinkles.” [BoingBoing]
- Sonic is selling a slush made with Carolina Reapers, some of the hottest peppers ever. [FoodBeast]
- A new report on Fair Trade policies says that Fair Trade certified small farmers get paid better wages, but the workers they hire are paid the same. [NPR]
- On Spider-Man’s “bodega values.” [NBC News]
- Head to Atlantic City for a $40k cocktail (that’s really just vintage scotch) served with a check signed by Babe Ruth. [NY Post]
- Famous Dave’s is the latest chain to get on the Beyond Meat bandwagon. [Yahoo]
• All AM Intel Coverage [E]