I turned myself into a can of Pringles, Morty!
Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty is a great show with a sometimes insufferable fanbase, and perhaps no character has inspired more obsession than Pickle Rick (aka main character Rick Sanchez after he turns himself into a pickle). Like, just look at this.
Anyway, Rick and Morty fans have proven themselves a strong consumer base, having already resuscitated McDonalds’ Szechuan Sauce, so Pringles is right to figure that maybe they’ll buy Pickle Rick chips. The chips will launch nationwide on February 2, in conjunction with the Super Bowl, and will be “Pickle Rick-flavored,” which raises a lot of questions about what exactly would differentiate that from your standard pickle-flavored chip (which Pringles offers). Does it have some sort of human-y essence? What does a Rick taste like?
Nerdist reports that this is part of a “year-long partnership between Pringles and Rick and Morty, so there may be other show-inspired flavors coming down the pike.” Gazorpazorpfield enchiladas could be good.
And in other news...
- While other processed meats have seen a decline in sales over the past few years, Spam is rising in popularity. The reason? The spread of food from Hawai’i. [CNBC]
- Martha Stewart is maybe mad at Antoni for not tagging her on Instagram in a photo he took in her stable. [Instagram]
- A guy ate Chick-fil-A for 114 days straight in order to beat the previous record of 100 days. Sorry to this man (‘s digestive system). [NY Post]
- New meat inspection rules from Trump could result in contaminated “mystery” meat. [NBC]
- A group of special needs students were told by a Pizza Hut employee to rush through their party to make room for “regular” customers. A Pizza Hut spokesperson has apologized. [NBC]
- Plant-based chicken is happening, and unlike traditional Mock Duck, it’s gluten-free. [Thrillist]
- Humans have been chewing gum since the stone age, but back then it was made of birch pitch. [CNN]
- Subway UK is launching a reed diffuser that smells like garlic bread, and like Subway garlic bread, it definitely will smell much better than it tastes. [Insider]
- Taco Bell is launching 21 new $1 menu items, as other fast food chains have dropped the dollar menu. [Insider]
- Maybe we need to dial it back with the abundant cheese plates.
Someday we’re going to look back on this era of maximalist food spreads/cheese boards in horror. Yes, those are some waffles sitting under a pile of crackers and peppermint bark. pic.twitter.com/SZTS5VGDHG— Motts Mcgrotts (@MollyOtto) December 16, 2019