Popeyes announces sandwich return date with a dig at Chick-fil-A
After reports that the famed Popeyes chicken sandwich would return to newly staffed-up locations sometime in early November, there’s now an exact date: November 3.
In a video shared on Twitter, the chain highlights the fact that November 3 is a Sunday — the day of the week that rival chicken chain Chick-fil-A is famously closed, in keeping with Chick-fil-A’s religious roots. It’s another callback to the beginning of this sandwich frenzy, when Popeyes and Chick-fil-A sniped at each other on Twitter as fans of the respective chains contributed to the escalating mayhem with memes and jokes that only helped draw publicity to the sandwich.
Y’all…the sandwich is back Sunday, November 3rd. Then every day. pic.twitter.com/JDxyCIv0zz— Popeyes Chicken (@PopeyesChicken) October 28, 2019
I’m sure reactions to this reignited rivalry, which is definitely not a manufactured marketing scheme designed to inflame fans’ passion and increase sales at both chains, will be extremely calm and rational.
And in other news…
- Two Sonoma wineries were destroyed by California’s Kincade wildfire this weekend. [Wine Spectator]
- José Andrés’s World Central Kitchen is in Sonoma serving up meals to Kincade fire evacuees, firefighters, and emergency responders. [@WCKitchen]
- The drive-thru isn’t dead yet: chains like Chipotle and McDonald’s are betting on high-tech drive-thrus for the future of fast food. [Insider]
- Food & Wine profiles Rocco DiSpirito, the star chef best known for making waves at Manhattan’s Union Pacific. [F&W]
- Budweiser is facing weak sales in China and in the U.S. [CNN]
- Foodgod Jonathan Cheban — a.k.a. Kim Kardashian’s pal who represents the worst of viral Instagram food — has legally changed his name to Foodgod. [TMZ]
• All AM Intel Coverage [E]