Egg Roll Squirrel is the new Pizza Rat
New year, new hungry rodent mascot: Behold this video of a chubby squirrel chowing down on an egg roll from his perch high in the tree tops. He follows a long line of internet-famous furry food lovers, including Doughnut Raccoon, Pizza Possum, and of course, the OG Pizza Rat.
Doesn’t look like this squirrels first egg roll #whatisnewyork pic.twitter.com/Heo30oe8w3— WhatIsNewYork (@whatisny) January 2, 2019
#Brands can’t resist Bird Box memes
It was only a matter of time until a fast-food chain hopped on the Bird Box meme bandwagon. Enter KFC Singapore:
The only #BirdBox you need. #KFCsgPosted by KFC on Wednesday, January 2, 2019
And in other news...
• A McDonald’s customer in St. Petersburg, Florida was arrested after assaulting an employee. His beef? A lack of plastic straws in the lobby, the result of a new city law which dictates that restaurants can only hand out straws by request. [WFTS]
• Speaking of McDonald’s, look for donut sticks — fried strips of dough coated in cinnamon sugar — to be added to the breakfast menu in February. [Business Insider]
• A hot new trend amongst diners with plenty of disposable income is meals in extreme locations — like in the middle of a sand bank in the Indian ocean, or on a wooden plank above shark-infested waters. [WSJ]
• Vital royals update: 97-year-old Prince Philip just became the first person to successfully grow black truffles in Britain. [The Times]
• Taco Bell has (briefly) resurrected its famed fried chicken shell taco. [Foodbeast]
• Finally, here’s what it would look like if all the Taco Bells in the Bay Area were connected by a rail line. [Reddit]