- Disneyland is going to serve booze to the general public for the first time ever at a new bar inside the forthcoming Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge section of the park. Oga’s Cantina will look something like the bar where Han Solo shoots Greedo in the original Star Wars, and stormtroopers and other characters from the movies will make appearances from time to time. The Disney Parks blog notes that the bar will offer “concoctions created with exotic ingredients using ‘otherworldly’ methods, served in unique vessels.” Disney World and the California Adventure park have served booze for a while now, but Disneyland has always been dry, except for the private, invite-only Club 33 in New Orleans Square. Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge and its new bar are slated to open next year, and an identical park expansion, complete with its own galactic tavern, will open in Disney World as well.
- Coca-Cola is acquiring U.K. chain Costa Coffee for a cool $5.1 billion. This is Europe’s biggest coffee chain, with 2,400 locations scattered across the U.K. Whitbread, the company that launched Costa Coffee, plans to use all that cash to expand its Premier Inn chain of budget hotels.
- Crazy Rich Asians author Kevin Kwan tells Bon Appetit about his favorite dishes to eat in Singapore, and he reveals a few behind-the-scenes details about bringing his book to the silver screen. As it turns out, the dumpling scene was not originally in his novel. “The dumpling making was a surprise to me when I first read about it in one of the early scripts,” Kwan remarks. “They had created this scene just for Rachel to get to know the family. I thought it was very effective, quite frankly, and just a lovely moment in the movie,”
- Top Chef judge Padma Lakshmi is holding a birthday bake-off for charity:
I’m doing a bake-off for my birthday this Saturday 9/1! Bake a cake, tag me in it and I’ll give $5,000 to a charity of the winner’s choice. pic.twitter.com/hD5uTlND6W— Padma Lakshmi (@PadmaLakshmi) August 30, 2018
- The Carrabba’s Italian Grill in Stuart, Florida has cancelled its weekly “Monkey Mondays” event after a nine-month-old capuchin bit a customer.
- In an attempt to ride the wave of pumpkin spice latte mania, Busch Light is temporarily rebranding itself as Busch Latte.
- Jay-Z gave $60K worth of Champagne to his pal Fat Joe on his birthday earlier this week.
- And finally, a fisherman off the coast of Maine caught an ultra-rare ghost lobster on Tuesday. Say hello to the official mascot of Labor Day Weekend 2018: