- A restaurant in Chengdu, China, has discovered that offering all-you-can-eat meals can be a disastrous business model. Hot-pot parlor Jiamener recently opened its doors and looked to attract diners by offering a month of unlimited food for the low, low price of $25, but feasting customers ate the restaurant out of business. It shuttered after falling $100,000 in debt after just two weeks of operation.
- While some brands try obnoxious marketing stunts to generate buzz, Taco Bell continues its tried and true method of introducing obnoxious menu items. The latest creation to come out of T-Bell’s laboratory is a “watermelon freeze.” Not only is this slushy beverage watermelon flavored, but it comes with little bits of floating candy that are meant to represent the melon’s seeds.
- Before Saturday Night Live standout Leslie Jones was a television star, she waited tables at a restaurant called Spoons in Orange County, California. One of her regular customers was a young Mikey Day, who is now Jones’s colleague on SNL.
- With labor shortages and increasing competition in the morning hours, Subway is giving up and no longer requiring franchises to be open for breakfast.
- With Howard Schultz leaving the company, new Starbucks chief executive officer Kevin Johnson is stepping into the spotlight. He faces unique challenges as he attempts to fill the shoes of the famous executive.
- Amtrak is improving its dining options in an attempt to compete with airlines.
- Celebrated Mexican chef Martha Ortiz, who has restaurants in Mexico City and London, says United States President Donald Trump is not welcome to “trespass” in her native country. “Mexicans are creative, we are talented,” Ortiz says. “It is very easy when you have a neighbor like that man to forget that. It is easy not to believe it. Trump, yes. Imagine having him as a neighbor. And everything negative that he says. My country and my world will never be a place that he can trespass in. He will never be welcome.”
- Finally, modest Britons have forced a change at the restaurant in the House of Parliament: The classic dessert known as spotted dick will henceforth be called “spotted richard.” The updated moniker is a way “to spare MPs’ blushes.” Oh heavens.
All-You-Can-Eat Restaurant Closes After Customers Eat Too Much
Plus, Taco Bell has a ridiculous new menu item, and more food news to start the week