- Fans of The Chew, it’s time to say goodbye. The food-focused ABC daytime show is going off the air, and it will broadcast its farewell episode today at 1 p.m. ET (although some previously taped episodes will air throughout the summer). The Chew, which previously employed disgraced celebrity chef Mario Batali as a co-host, received its cancellation notice in its seventh season.
- Domestic goddess Chrissy Teigen and her husband, John Legend, celebrated Donald Trump’s 72nd birthday by donating $288,000 to the American Civil Liberties Union. That’s $72,000 per individual in their four-person family.
- Sorry, kids, Kellogg’s is recalling its Honey Smacks cereal due to a salmonella outbreak. People in at least 31 states have fallen ill.
- With food waste a pressing issue around the globe, the fashion industry is trying to help. A new startup is transforming discarded items such as banana peels and hemp stalks into clothing fibers.
- Here’s a hot take: Loaded fries suck. The thing is, in fact, this take is wrong, because loaded fries are actually delicious.
- Your regularly scheduled plastic straws update: Fast-food giant McDonald’s has officially banned the drinking accessories at all of its United Kingdom locations. The company will test alternative straws in the United States, France, and Norway soon.
- A Huffington Post investigation finds coffee powerhouse Starbucks discriminates against older workers. “I’m scared going to work every day that they are going to find some reason to let me go,” one 52-year-old employee tells HuffPost.
- More ’Bucks trouble: The company faces pressure to cut ties with Maxim’s Caterers Limited, which serves as its licensee for locations in China, because Maxim’s still serves shark fin.
- Want to remove unwanted flavors in wine? Get some magnets.
- Finally, former Mission Chinese Food NYC chef Angela Dimayuga has a new gig at the Standard hotel chain, where she is taking on odd projects such as “transforming the Jacuzzi at Le Bain into a ‘haute pot’ art installation with floating sculptures of fish cakes and shrimp for a semimonthly dance party,” and making “an edible swimsuit sculpture out of kombu” for Miami’s swim week.
ABC’s ‘The Chew’ Airs Its Farewell Episode Today
Plus, an investigation finds Starbucks discriminates against older workers, and more food news
If you buy something from an Eater link, Vox Media may earn a commission. See our ethics policy.
Share this story
Here Is the Full List of James Beard Awards 2023 Winners
Congratulations to all the chef and restaurant winners
All the Kitchen’s a Stage
The rise of the open kitchen has changed how diners experience their meals, and the way chefs approach their work
By Jaya Saxena