- The crab industry on Maryland’s Eastern Shore is in crisis as the Trump administration’s changes to America’s visa program has caused a significant shortage of workers to pick meat from the crustaceans. The workforce has declined by 40 percent in the wake of the changes. “This is going to cause the price of crabmeat to go out of sight,” Harry Phillips, owner of a local seafood house, tells the Washington Post. “There’s not going to be hardly any Maryland crabmeat. ... It looks like it’s a matter of time before they’re going to shut all of us down.”
- Everyone wants Joanna Gaines to fix up their home cooking routines, apparently. Gaines, co-host of the insanely popular HGTV series Fixer Upper and mom-to-be for the fifth time, has a new cookbook out, and it sold an astounding 169,000 copies in its first week on shelves. Magnolia Table displaced James Comey’s A Higher Loyalty at the top of BookScan’s sales rankings.
- Bagel chain Einstein Bros. is now topping its bagels with mac and cheese. If there were a New Yorkers Mad at Food Twitter account to match that Italian version, it would be having a field day with this news.
- Anthony Bourdain’s fourth and final Hungry Ghosts comic book goes on sale next week. Fair warning: It’s not for the faint of heart.
- Struggling burrito chain Chipotle would do anything to win back customers, but it won’t do free guacamole.
- In a sit-down with FastCasual.com, outspoken chef Amanda Cohen, owner of New York City’s vegetarian Dirt Candy, explains why her restaurant has a no-tipping policy. “Tipping is, I think, an awful system,” Cohen says. “It’s very sexist, it’s very misogynistic, and it is very racist. Basically, it’s a restaurant owner lying about how much it costs to eat in a restaurant, and so we outsource half of our payroll to the customers.”
- Starbucks executives held a town hall meeting at historically black Morehouse College in Atlanta on Thursday. They admitted the recent arrests of two black men at a Philadelphia location was a “failure of leadership” and that they’re overhauling their hiring and promoting practices.
- For those who don’t know much about wine and don’t understand what those point ratings found on some bottles actually mean, this explainer may be of use.
- Finally, here is the story of how a hedge fund billionaire helped invent the McDonald’s Chicken McNugget.
Trump’s Immigration Policy Is Wrecking the Maryland Crab Industry
Plus, Joanna Gaines’s cookbook is flying off the shelves, and more food news to end the week