- Budweiser has a new beer rolling out this summer, just in time for America-themed holidays and cookouts. It’s apparently based on an old recipe from George Washington, according to a press release. A portion of proceeds from the brew will be donated to Folds of Honor, a nonprofit organization that provides educational scholarships to military families.
- A small New York City falafel chain will debut a hummus milkshake on May 13. The recipe includes chickpeas, tahini, banana, dates, and almond milk.
- The indie rockers who make up Portland, Oregon-based band Portugal. The Man credit Roy Choi’s food for influencing their latest album, Woodstock. The band and Choi reportedly “formed a special friendship and appreciation for each other’s craft, thanks to the band’s near-daily visits to the chef’s LA restaurants.”
- Wendy’s will soon lose some ammo in its fast-food war with McDonald’s. Mickey D’s, often called out for serving burgers made with frozen patties, is rolling out fresh beef nationwide next week.
- Actor Kunal Nayyar of The Big Bang Theory tells Conan O’Brien how to eat from a Chinese take-out box on camera, which is something that happens a lot on the CBS series.
- Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will captivate the world with their royal wedding later this month. Here’s a roundup of the food served at past monarchial marriage celebrations.
- There is a debate among Rome’s Jewish community about whether Jewish artichokes are actually kosher.
- Raw oysters are delicious, but, sadly, they can be dangerous. One hundred people contracted norovirus linked to Canadian bivalves.
- When lab-grown meat was first making headlines back in 2013, the cost was astronomical — roughly $325,000 for a burger patty. That price has been falling in the years since, and beef concocted in a science lab could be as cheap as traditional beef by 2020.
- “Feminine” restaurant design is a trend right now, according to The Washington Post. Bright colors and floral accents are being chosen over the brooding tones and Edison bulbs that have been so popular in recent years.
- Kangaroos in Australia seem to be big fans of McDonald’s and Kentucky Fried Chicken. The marsupials are attacking tourists for their fast food.
- Finally, Sweden is coming clean with a dirty secret. Swedish meatballs aren’t actually Swedish — they’re Turkish.
Anthony Bourdain Digs in to Uruguayan Cuisine on This Week’s ‘Parts Unknown’
Plus, lab-grown beef may soon be as cheap as traditional meat, and more food news
Chef and former ‘Top Chef’ contestant Byron Gomez on how the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program paved the way for his career
By Byron Gomez