- Taco Bell is America’s favorite Mexican restaurant, according to a survey conducted by Harris Poll. T-Bell unseated flagging burrito chain Chipotle to take over the top spot. “Taco Bell’s marketing is ubiquitous so it wasn’t surprising to me that they came out on top this year,” Amir Kanpurwala, director of the survey, tells Yahoo Finance.
- Add New York City to the list of places where plastic straws, which typically end up polluting the world’s oceans after they’re discarded, are going out of fashion. Some bars, restaurants, and coffee shops are finding paper straws to be a popular alternative sipping assistant.
- A California jury has ordered Chipotle to pay a former employee $8 million in a wrongful termination lawsuit. In 2015, the company accused Jeannette Ortiz, a manager at one of the chain’s Fresno locations, of stealing $636 from the store and claimed to have video evidence of the crime, but it never released any footage. Chipotle plans to appeal the decision.
- Beverly Hills, California-based Fatburger has expanded its business to Japan, opening a location in Tokyo. One over-the-top menu item at the new restaurant is something called the “US Kingburger,” which comes with a ridiculous six beef patties.
- Celebrity chef Wolfgang Puck is thinking of expanding Spago, his first restaurant, which opened in Los Angeles in 1982, to London. “The timing is better than ever for a restaurant business in London,” Puck tells Bloomberg. “It’s good to be in a city where enough people go out to restaurants every day.”
- And speaking of London, Shake Shack is about to open another location in that city, and this one will serve breakfast.
- A valid question from Grub Street’s Nikita Richardson: Where are all the black restaurant critics? It’s a profession that is lacking in diversity.
- Another movie about McDonald’s is in the works. Channel 5 in the United Kingdom will air McDonald’s: The Billion Dollar Burger, telling the story of the chain’s humble beginnings in the 1940s and its massive growth over the past seven decades. There’s no word on a possible premiere date.
- Argentinian steakhouse chain Cau is considering closing all 22 of its locations in the UK. The chain has seen double-digit sales declines, and the closures will result in roughly 700 jobs lost.
- Guy Fieri, the Duke of Donkey Sauce himself, surprised Chopped Junior champion and three-time cancer survivor Fuller Goldsmith with a meeting at a Georgia country music festival’s barbecue tent. Fieri spent some time with Goldsmith, who is a big fan, and the two did some cooking together.
- No surprise here: After JuneBaby won the James Beard Foundation’s award for Best New Restaurant, and chef Edouardo Jordan took home the Best Chef: Northwest award, last week, it’s becoming harder to get a table at the Seattle establishment.
- Finally, hero chef José Andrés has opened an outpost of Beefsteak, his fast-casual vegetable restaurant, in a hospital food court in Cleveland.
Taco Bell Ousts Chipotle as America’s Favorite Mexican Restaurant
Plus, another McDonald’s movie is in the works, and more food news to end the week