- Dozens of people have fallen ill due to an E. coli outbreak that has touched 11 states. So far, 35 people have been affected and there have been 22 hospitalizations, but no deaths. Chopped romaine lettuce from the Yuma, Arizona, growing region is the culprit, and a recall has been issued.
- Meanwhile, a farm in Seymore, Indiana, has recalled more than 200 million eggs amid salmonella fears. The Food and Drug Administration is investigating 22 reported illnesses to determine if they are connected to the eggs.
- Congratulations to Team USA, which just earned a first-place finish in the Bocuse D’Or Americas. The top five teams advance to the big-time Bocuse d’Or competition next winter in Lyon, France.
- Cookie Monster did a “midnight confession” with Stephen Colbert on Friday. “Me not take internet safety serious enough, because me always allow cookies.”
- Is rapidly growing chicken-sandwich chain Chick-fil-A a good fit for New York City? The New Yorker doesn’t think so.
- British celebrity chef Jamie Oliver is famous for being a bit of a health nut, but he has admitted that he would let his children eat at McDonald’s. One has to assume he’s making it up to the kids for giving them names such as Buddy Bear and Daisy Boo.
- Fast food meets fashion once again as McDonald’s collaborates with Uniqlo on a line of T-shirts. If you want to be a walking advertisement for the burger giant, these look pretty good.
- The teens are at it again: This youngster from Felling, England, has started a GoFundMe campaign in an attempt to fulfill his dream of bathing in Kentucky Fried Chicken gravy. Nobody tell him KFC locations in the UK have been facing gravy shortages lately.
- Domino’s will now deliver to beaches, parks, and other “hotspots” that don’t have regular street addresses.
- Here’s a look at the science of snow-aging food in Japan.
- Finally, Toronto chef/author Jen Agg tweets about restaurant critics’ bad Instagrams, and the critics just can’t help themselves but to respond. Folks, let it go.
They’re all on a DM thread rn cursing me out WHY AM I LIKE THIS— Jen Agg (@TheBlackHoof) April 15, 2018
The more I think about it the more interesting the question is. Maybe critics have different motives in using IG?— Pete Wells (@pete_wells) April 15, 2018