Today, USA Today released a slideshow called “50 States: 50 Female Chefs,” which helpfully implores readers to “add the 50 female chefs in the photos above to your restaurant radar — there’s one in your state.” That is accurate; at last count, there are at least 50 female chefs who live in the United States.
Apparently that’s news to USA Today — although it probably shouldn’t be — and by cobbling together this list, the newspaper has placed women chefs on the same plane as inanimate items covered by its “50 States” series, including “must-try sandwiches” and recommended ramen restaurants.
Inspired by that reductive decision-making, Eater’s editors would like to offer some potential alternate headlines:
- TIL There’s a Female Chef In Every State!!!!
Subheadline: THERE’S EVEN ONE IN IOWA
- You’ll Never Believe What States We Found Female Chefs In
Subheadline: ZOMG all of them
- Warning: There Are at Least 50 Female Chefs, Including One in Your State
- We Tried to Find a Female Chef In Every State. You’ll Never Guess What Happened Next.
- Here Now, Proof That Female Chefs Exist, Once and For All
- Binders Full of Women, Restaurant Edition
- Unnecessary Slideshow Added to Internet
• A Female Chef in Each State [USA Today]
• We Once Again Ask Why There Is a ‘Best Female Chef’ Award [E]