- Ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring, ring Bananacoin! There is a new, very real, very bananular cryptocurrency on the market called Bananacoin. It seems some people are actually using it. When will the madness end?
- McDonald’s self-ordering kiosks have expanded to another city, this time coming online at a location in Louisville, Kentucky. It’s the latest step toward Mickey D’s plans to install the kiosks at all of its 14,000 U.S. restaurants. While there are concerns that these kiosks will phase out jobs for real, live humans, McDonald’s is pairing the new ordering platform, with table service that is executed by real, live humans.
- If the food-service industry is going to replace humans with robots, at least make sure the robots can provide an upgrade in service. This Scottish bot lost its grocery store job because shoppers thought it was “too creepy.”
- Jim Gaffigan stopped by Late Night on Wednesday, and because he’s Jim Gaffigan, he talked about food. “Nothing says Christmas season is over like a sale on reindeer meat.”
- Vodka is a bland spirit that is best used in bloody Marys. What if some genius infused it with something as wonderful as fried chicken? As the Takeout learns, it’s still best used in bloody Marys.
- The most difficult part of being a pizza-delivery person has to be driving around with that aromatic pie and resisting the temptation to dig in. Well, one Domino’s delivery driver in British Columbia, Canada, succumbed to his desires on Tuesday and plucked the toppings from a pizza before dropping it off. Unsurprisingly, this hungry fellow has been relieved of his duties.
- Wendy’s, are you okay?
*deep underground humming intensifies*— kendrick lobstar (@KLobstar) January 24, 2018
H A M B U R G E R S pic.twitter.com/elyp19hKuc
- For years, Shake Shack vs. In-N-Out has been the East Coast-West Coast rap battle of the fast-food burger world. Maybe it’s time to stop comparing the two rivals, because they aren’t really playing the same game. One is a luxury item, and the other continues to be an affordable delicacy.
- Philadelphia chef Marc Vetri is pretty pumped that his local football team is headed to the Super Bowl, so he dyed his beard green in support of the Eagles. That’s a good look.
- Texas-based Shiner beer plans to air its first-ever Super Bowl ad this year.
- Blue Hill chef Dan Barber’s brother David has started a venture capital company that focuses on food tech.
- Finally, Le Creuset has come out with a new line of cooking vessels that will thrill any Disney lover. These little ramekins look just like Mickey Mouse.