Hungry Ghosts, the forthcoming four-part comic book series from jet-setting culinary icon Anthony Bourdain, is now available for pre-order. New details have been made available on publisher Dark Horse’s website.
The first installment will be released this January 31, with subsequent publication dates set for February 28, March 28, and April 25. Bourdain first revealed plans for his newest project last July. It’s a “riff on the Japanese Edo-period game 100 Candles, in which samurai would try to one-up each other with stories to freak each other out,” according to Vulture. But with Bourdain having creative control, the storytellers are chefs, and the tales are focused on food.
Each book will cover two stories. Details, per Dark Horse:
- Hungry Ghosts #1: “With bad consequence, a ramen chef refuses to help a beggar, and a band of pirates get more (and less) than they were bargaining for after their encounter with a drowning woman turns ghastly.”
- Hungry Ghosts #2: “In a desolate trattoria in the foothills of Southern Italy, an exiled master chef forms an unhealthy attachment to his new apprentice. And in the Spanish countryside, the rich Don of a sprawling ranch with an appetite for his stable gets a horrifying taste from beyond the dinner table.”
- Hungry Ghosts #3: “‘The way to a man’s heart is through his stomach’ takes on a whole new meaning as an accomplished young chef returns to his small-town home from the big city to find insatiable mouths to feed. And in the backroom brigade of a fine French kitchen, an abusive master chef gets what’s coming to him in the most unspeakable of manners.
- Hungry Ghosts #4: “In the frozen Nigata Prefecture, a country cook learns discretion the hard way after an encounter with the cryptic, but irresistible Snow Woman, and Hungry Ghosts seal the insatiable fate of famine-stricken villagers in the most voracious, unthinkable way possible when a stranger comes to town.”
That last book comes with a “mature” warning. The books check in at $3.99 and 32 pages each. This is Bourdain’s third venture into the realm of comics. He released Get Jiro!, a graphic novel about a sushi chef who beheads customers who dare to order California rolls, in 2012. That was followed by a prequel, Get Jiro: Blood and Sushi, in 2015.
• Anthony Bourdain Has a New Comic Book in the Works [E]
• Here’s an Exclusive Look at Anthony Bourdain’s ‘Get Jiro!’ [E]
• Inside ‘Get Jiro: Blood and Sushi’ Anthony Bourdain’s Newest Comic Book [E]
• All Anthony Bourdain Coverage [E]