- Donkey Sauce aficionado Guy Fieri has a new show where he takes his family on road trips. It’s called Guy’s Family Road Trip.
- Chick-fil-A is rolling out family meals in three cities starting this Monday. A family meal serves four and includes one entree, two sides, and eight mini rolls; if rolled out nationwide there’s concern that they’ll be a “direct threat” to KFC’s bucket meals.
- In an attempt to revive sales, Subway’s newest restaurants have a sleek new look, as well as free Wi-fi and USB charging docks.
- These chefs’ first summer jobs — at places including Olive Garden, California Pizza Kitchen, amusement parks, and movie theaters — gave them some lifelong skills. “Through hard work and ambition, you can move up pretty quickly and become a leader,” one chef said. “Also, by coming to work sober and on time.”
- Hot Take: Don’t let your kids eat from the kids menu, because it will turn them into picky eaters for life.
- Colombian chef Leonor Espinosa wins the Basque Culinary World Prize, awarded by “a world leading academic institution dedicated to gastronomic education, innovation and research.” Espinosa’s known for “nurturing and promoting the value of Colombia’s biodiversity,” and she’s worked hard to bring rural and cities together through gastronomy. More here.
- Union Square Hospitality Group CEO Danny Meyer just received the third-annual Julia Child award. Eater NY has more.
- Dark chocolate, white chocolate, and peanut butter Twix will all be hitting shelves in the US before the end of the year.
- Here’s the always-quotable Dave Chang on poke: “I can’t do it,” he told Joe House and Bill Simmons. “I can’t do it because I look at this place, and they have already-chopped-up fish, like tubs of fish, chopped up and seasoned, just waiting to be scooped out into a bowl. That’s just not how I want to eat raw fish.”
- People are very confused by Drake’s latest Instagram, which is maybe an ad for Starbucks?
- For anyone on the fence about buying a Tesla, please take note: The repair vans come equipped with espresso machines.
Guy Fieri’s New Show Is Actually Just a Family Road Trip
And other food news to know today