- Sandwich chain Subway is trying to combat a historic slump by investing in new technology. It plans on launching (or has recently implemented) a mobile app, a pickup area for mobile orders, wifi, digital menu boards, and touch-screen kiosks. The upgrades require buy-in from franchisees, who own all of Subway’s locations. The company will foot the bill for some, but not most, of the costs.
- Alice Waters has a message for Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos:
A message for @JeffBezos! pic.twitter.com/8gOEeW011F— Alice Waters (@AliceWaters) June 16, 2017
- Sixpoint Brewery’s Shane Welch joined Dogfish Head’s Sam Calagione to demand popular beer review website RateBeer remove reviews of their breweries’ offerings. They are upset at what they perceive to be a conflict of interest in the site, now that giant beer conglomerate Anheuser-Busch InBev’s incubator ZX Ventures owns a minority stake.
- Ina Garten and Michelle Obama are lunch buds, which is an amazing thing.
- Speaking of the Barefoot Contessa, here’s a good tweet:
Jeffrey? pic.twitter.com/smIlSveJ06— Lizzie O'Leary (@lizzieohreally) June 18, 2017
- One of Houston’s most well-known restaurants, Underbelly, is shifting away from sourcing whole steers and will focus more on fish and vegetables. It was known as one of the few restaurants in the nation to purchase whole steers and use the entirety of the cow.