• Man, people love Panera Bread — including billionaires, who are apparently set to start a bidding war over ownership of the chain. Last week, the soup-and-sandwich stalwart revealed it was entertaining a $7.5 billion bid from JAB Holding Company, the coffee-focused group that also owns Krispy Kreme. Today, the NY Post reports that 3G, the company that owns Burger King, Tim Horton’s, and Popeyes Louisiana Kitchen, might throw its hat in the ring, too. As the Post notes, both companies are “on a global buying spree.”
• Here’s a great game day gimmick: Athens, Ga.’s Terrapin Beer Co. — which has a “brew lab” near SunTrust Park, home of the Atlanta Braves — is offering a beer aged with the same wood that’s used to make baseball bats. The “Chopsecutioner” is described as a light IPA, with the wood sourced from Mizuno, a company that supplies many Major League Baseball bats.
• Chef Heston Blumenthal, whose flagship restaurant the Fat Duck holds three Michelin stars, is now a bot (kind of). In a new Skype gimmick, Blumenthal has teamed with Microsoft to provide users with cooking tips.
• A self-serve beer kiosk is coming to Las Vegas, which simultaneously sounds like a great idea and a terrible idea, all rolled into one.
• Want an excuse to always order the larger pizza? Here’s math and science proving why it’s literally always the better bet.
• Ruby Tandoh, cookbook author, self-care guru, and The Great British Bake Off alum, is not a stranger to social media feuds (famously starting one with Bake Off judge Paul Hollywood), and she continues to just not. mince. words. From a recent Twitter exchange:
April 11, 2017