This is Enrique Olvera’s year: Shortly after relocating and reopening his award-winning Mexico City crown jewel Pujol in a stunning space, the acclaimed chef-restaurateur has just opened the doors to a new restaurant in New York City. In the works for about a year — and certainly one of the city’s most eagerly awaited openings of the season — Atla is a more casual venue than Olvera’s smash hit Big Apple debut, Cosme.
Here’s everything you need to know:
1. Daniela Soto-Innes is involved and that’s great news for diners. Soto-Innes is the chef de cuisine at Cosme, and was instrumental in creating Atla. She has steered the Cosme ship since day one, racking up awards like Eater NY’s Restaurant of the Year in 2015 and the James Beard Rising Star Chef award last year. Day to day, Cosme alum Hugo Vera is running the kitchen at Atla.
2. The Mexican menu leans light and vegetable-y. Look out for nopal tostadas (pictured up top) and chicken caldo soup. The menu also has an undercurrent of Instagram-health-lifestyle, with items like chia oatmeal, kale tamales, coconut yogurt, and guacamole-topped molletes, which looks a whole lot like avocado toast.
4. Olvera really wants this to be a neighborhood restaurant. It’s not easy to get tables at Cosme or Pujol, but Olvera hopes that his all-day concept makes for a lower-key place people in the neighborhood can enjoy. “We wanted to create a space where people could go and just call it home,” he told Eater NY. “A regular place, kind of like a living room of your apartment.”
5. It’s open right now. New Yorkers have already been checking it out. Here are some highlights from opening day:
I was excited to visit ATLA , the new Nolita project of @enriqueolveraf and @danielasotoinnes. This was the final dish we had: farro wheat and quail egg meatballs. • • • • • • • • • • #foodnetwork #cookandtell #eeeeeats #instafood #bonappetit #bareaders #buzzfeedfood #buzzfeast #yahoofood #tastingtable #huffposttaste #nytcooking #yum #yummy #foodporn #foodoftheday #foodphotography #farro #quailegg #meatball #atlanyc #mexican
• Atla [Official]
• Atla Debuts Today With Light Mexican Fare From Enrique Olvera [ENY]