Hospitality all-star Danny Meyer revealed plans for two major new projects today: His Union Square Hospitality Group — which is behind game-changing NYC restaurants like Gramercy Tavern and the brand-new Daily Provisions — will be opening a sky-high restaurant in Manhattan’s Financial District as well as the “first second” (to use a Meyer-ism) USA location of the NYC flagship Union Square Cafe in Washington, D.C.
Here’s what you need to know about the New York City restaurant, fresh from Eater NY:
1. The restaurant will be on the 60th floor of what was formerly known as One Chase Manhattan Plaza, and will boast 360-degree skyline views.
2. The space was previously operated by the events/catering arm of Meyer’s hospitality empire, and will still feature private event and dining spaces.
3. Meyer wants the restaurant to be approachable, even with its “extraordinary” views: “I want to make a restaurant that I would want to go even if it did not have a great view, that I would want to go to frequently.”
4. Per the Post, it will be the highest ballroom in New York City
5. As of yet, no name for the restaurant has been revealed.
Here’s what you need to know about the D.C. restaurant, fresh from Eater DC:
1. The restaurant will be another location of Union Square Cafe. Refresher: Union Square Cafe is Meyer’s acclaimed NYC restaurant — his very first, actually. Open since 1985, USC blends greenmarket ingredients with Italian cooking and has played a huge role in popularizing dining at the bar. After a rent hike, the NYC location recently relocated and revamped.
2. The restaurant will be located at Capitol Crossing, a major new mixed-use project.
3. This is not Meyer’s first foray into D.C., which is home to multiple Shake Shack locations. USHG also has concessions stalls at Nationals Park.
4. As part of Meyer’s “hospitality included” movement, D.C.’s Union Square Cafe will be a no-tipping restaurant.
5. The opening might happen in 2018, but stay tuned.
•Danny Meyer Doesn't Want Sky-High Price Tags For His Sky-High New FiDi Restaurant [ENY]
•Union Square Cafe Inks Deal in DC [EDC]