After hearing the cry of cheeseburger enthusiasts everywhere, Google has changed its recipe. The burger emoji for Google’s Android mobile operating system now depicts cheese on top of the beef patty.
In earlier versions of Android, the burger emoji showed cheese below the beef, directly on top of the bottom bun. The change comes to smartphones and tablets with the new Android 8.1 update, per Emojipedia.
Last month, the internet worked itself into a frenzy upon discovery of Google’s cheese placement. Many self-professed burger experts declared Google to be out of its mind, and that Apple, with the cheese on top of the beef in its emoji for iOS, had a better understanding of burger assembly. But, there were some who came to Google’s defense. Dan Pashman, host of The Sporkful, a podcast that often tackles better ways to cook and eat common foods, is 100 percent a cheese-on-the-bottom kind of guy.
Cheese on bottom is superior. Cheese closer to tongue + seals in juices to prevent bottom bun soggage. Keep up the good work @sundarpichai. https://t.co/Rvf4fJex2Y— Dan Pashman (@TheSporkful) October 29, 2017
1. Brings cheese closer to tongue which accentuates cheesy goodness.— Dan Pashman (@TheSporkful) October 30, 2017
2. Creates seal that holds in juice & prevents bottom bun soggage...
Only Google stands above. Don't backtrack! Don't be evil. Be the change you want to see in the world.— Dan Pashman (@TheSporkful) October 30, 2017
Initially, it seemed as if Google would lean in to its choice of cheese placement: The company served a cheese-on-the-bottom “Android burger” to employees earlier this month, as The Verge notes. Now, however, Google chief executive officer Sundar Pichai has apparently decided to ignore Pashman’s advice.
• Google Fixes Burger Emoji [Emojipedia]
• Google Has Learned the Proper Way to Make a Cheeseburger in Android 8.1 [Verge]
• Apple and Google Can’t Agree on Cheese Placement in Burger [E]
• All Pop Culture Coverage [E]