- The Setting, a 2015 Cabernet Sauvignon, sold at the Emeril Lagasse Foundation auction this month for a whopping $350,000, setting the record for the most expensive bottle of wine ever sold at auction. A separate bottle of 2015 Troubador Pinot Noir sold for $50,000. Proceeds from the auction went to charity.
- Supergirl actor Jeremy Jordan claims he was hospitalized and required IV fluids after becoming ill from a meal at Chipotle. Representatives from the chain say they’ve tried to get in touch with the actor to get more details on the incident and investigate whether there was in fact a link between the illness and the company’s food.
- Amy Sedaris says that her new show At Home With Amy Sedaris is partially inspired by her childhood experiences with hospitality. “Growing up in the South, someone always had an ice-cream cake and a dead squirrel in their freezer,” she tells the New Yorker.
- The heirs to the Palm steakhouse dynasty are feuding over royalty payments for the licensing of the iconic restaurant’s name. In the 1970s, the founder’s grandsons, who own the company, agreed to pay their cousins an annual flat rate, but the cousins now say that it’s an unfair arrangement. The cousins are seeking more than $30 million in unpaid interest.
- While the coffee industry is facing slowing growth, U.S. sales of refrigerated and shelf-stable coffee drinks are on the rise, according to a new Wall Street Journal report. Analysts say customers are seeking out cold coffee instead of energy drinks and sodas because they perceive them to be healthier. Consumers are also apparently tired of waiting for their $5 cup of coffee at Starbucks.
- President Donald Trump continues to stick to his red meat-packed diet during his tour of Asia, eating burgers, Wagyu steak, and stewed beef steak with tomato sauce (not unlike Trump’s favorite well-done steak with ketchup). He did, however, sample some beef ribs prepared in a 360-year-old soy sauce.
- California tops Thrillist’s ranking of states by their food and drink.
- From maligned fast-food staple to upscale white plate menu item, the Guardian explores the rise of the “premium burger restaurant” Byron in the UK.
- Nestle is issuing a voluntary recall of its Hot Pockets four cheese pizza snack bites due to undeclared allergens.
- Pizza Hut’s newest creation is a pizza stuffed with pockets of fondue-esque melted cheeses including mozzarella, provolone, white cheddar, asiago, and fontina cheese.
- Stop everything and read this story on the rise of Asian-American cuisine.
World’s Most Expensive Bottle of Wine Sells for $350K at Auction
Plus, a Supergirl actor says he was hospitalized after eating at Chipotle, and more food news
Eater’s holiday banquet celebrates the food traditions we return to in memory, time and time again
With a few simple hacks — a gravy boat, chopped herbs, and a taper candle or two — your holiday celebration can look like a million bucks