Insert joke about spilled milk here: Lawmakers who passed a bill to legalize the consumption of raw milk fell ill after drinking raw milk to celebrate their victory. According to WSAZ, after passing legislation that allowed residents of West Virginia to drink raw milk, some delegates celebrated by consuming the unpasteurized dairy beverage. In a strange coincidence — or not — many of them became ill hours and days later. After an anonymous complaint to the Department of Health and Human Resources, state health officials are now investigating the matter.
While many are attributing the bouts of illness to consuming raw milk, other lawmakers say there has been a stomach bug going around which may have caused the sickness. One sick delegate, Pat McGeehan, agrees with the stomach bug theory. He states, "I had a small sip and walked away and tossed the rest of it. I highly doubt raw milk had anything to do with it, in my case." The local news station spent some time in McGeehan's office while he laid on a sofa, his hand over his face, moaning about stomach cramps.
Despite lawmakers' claim that it's perfectly healthy, and Portlandia's proclamation that "raw milk is the future," the FDA and CDC warn against the dangers of consuming it: "Raw milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms that can pose serious health risks to you and your family." The CDC has also reported unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to result in foodborne illness.