clock menu more-arrow no yes
Thomas Hawk/Flickr

Another day, another truly bizarre incident at a Waffle House: An employee at a store in Georgia was arrested for spiking a co-worker's drink with meth, reports CBS 46.

According to Dawson County police, surveillance video from the restaurant shows 43-year-old Sonserea Evans taking 37-year-old Brian Mikeals's drink to the bathroom, where they believe she slipped the drug into his drink, then returning the beverage without his knowledge.

Mikeals's family says after unknowingly consuming the poisoned drink, "he was in a coma for four weeks" and is now unable to walk. (Per the U.S. National Library of Medicine, a coma is one possible side effect of a methamphetamine overdose, along with a stroke and possible kidney failure.)

Evans was arrested for aggravated battery, as well as possession of a controlled substance with intent to distribute, and is currently being held at the Dawson County jail; Mikeals is still recovering in an area hospital.

Reached for comment by Eater, a Waffle House spokesperson says, "We are very concerned over this matter and are working with the local authorities to assist in their investigation. Our main focus now is on our Associate who was injured and his family as they go through this trying time. Once we were made aware of this situation, we terminated Ms. Evans. Since this is an ongoing investigation, we have no further comment at this time."

Other outlandish crimes that have occurred at Waffle House locations include a Georgia woman who stripped naked and broke another customer's nose in a violent outburst, and a South Carolina man who threatened his waitress with a knife when the restaurant ran out of pie. But despite these unfortunate incidents, there are still plenty of reasons to go to Waffle House: Besides the excellent hash browns, the restaurant chain also hosts romantic candle-lit dinners every Valentine's Day. You might even spot Kobe Bryant or Kim and Kanye there one of the other 364 days of the year.

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day