A norovirus outbreak affecting more than 390 people is linked to the New Theatre Restaurant in Overland Park, Kan., the state's Department of Health & Environment announced Thursday. Officials say the illnesses were first reported by people who ate at the dinner theater venue on January 17.
The health department is seeking information from anyone who has eaten at the New Theatre since January 15. The Kansas City Star reports the restaurant is cooperating with the investigation, and the outbreak may be linked to a man who was showing signs of illness on January 17. Three employees are confirmed to have norovirus, and they all served the man in question.
The Kansas Department of Agriculture reportedly conducted an inspection at the restaurant on January 20, finding seven "priority violations." Among the issues were an employee who handled a raw chicken tray with gloved hands and then handled ready-to-eat fried chicken without washing hands or changing gloves.
While nearly 400 people have reported illnesses, the health department has confirmed only four cases of norovirus so far. Eater has reached out for more information.
Norovirus is the most common cause of foodborne illness, sickening an estimated 19 million to 21 million people each year. As many as 50 people were fell ill due to a suspected norovirus outbreak in Washington earlier this month. Chipotle is facing a criminal investigation for its connection to a norovirus outbreak last year in California.