The average tasting menu can comprise over a dozen courses and last for hours, but for the truly committed diner, that's small fries. London-based creative agency Bompas and Parr have come up with a totally novel concept: A 200-course tasting menu timed to be consumed over the course of 24 hours. The Standard did the math: That means one course every seven minutes and 14 seconds.
Arranged as 10 different 20-course meals, each grouped by color, the price of the experience is just as eye-popping as the amount of food: Tickets for the one-time event are 2,000 GBP, or about $3130 USD.
Could you eat a course every seven minutes for 24 hours straight?
Is it an exercise in excess? Meant to poke fun at the ever-increasing demands of the high-end diner? A marathon-like test of a food-lover's appetite, will-power, and endurance? It is perhaps all of these, as Bompas and Parr is well-known in the UK for pushing the culinary envelope.
Earlier this month, the creative team created a bar in which patrons could pass through and breathe in an aerosolized cocktail. In 2011, the group created a rabbit cafe pop-up. Their work with exploding jellies and lava-cooked steak is equally notorious. In 2013, Bompas and Parr released a cookbook — Feasting with Bompas & Parr: Powerful Recipes & Savage Tales of Food for Feasting — which they described as "not so much a cookbook but an adventure story that happens to be true."
The 200 Club will take place in the 24 hours between September 3 and September 4. For those that want a more normal tasting menu experience, it is possible to purchase just one of the color-coded 20-course tasting menus for about $77 or 49 GBP. Each menu comes with a diner's choice of a carafe of wine or two beers. Tickets may only be purchased online. Find the full rainbow of menus below.
• Yellow Breakfast: A morning repast that zings with citrus, caffeine and craft. This culinary explosion will hybridize flavours of the East and West in a high-energy, high-end display of homely food love.
• White Elevenses: A British tradition bejewelled in surreal sparkle. Expect custards, shortbread, quiches, clouds of confection sugar and a dreamy sweet vision of the classic treats.
• Green Lunch: This meal will be a rustic yet refined version of the garden snacking of yore. Look forward to leafy eating including the freshest greens, meats and cheeses, plus a procession of fluorescent jellies.
• Blue Afternoon Snack: A powerhouse of flavour for the lazy hours of the day. Taste an otherworldly array of vibrant and dusty turquoises in the form of naturally tinted roots and skilfully prepared fish.
• Purple Five O'Clock Tiffin: Rooted in the wild and rich darkness of summer, enjoy ingredients such as wild game and dark summer fruits. Dishes will speak to simple food traditions reinterpreted with modern culinary craft.
• Pink Dinner: Forget "trendy" food items like burgers or hot dogs. Your table will be buzzing with eye-popping fuschia, cured meats, and smouldering wood smoke.
• Red Party Time: A sultry explosion of party vibes and hot weather flavours. You'll see Australian and Asian influences, balancing classic spice and tropical tangs with modern style.
• Orange Drunchies: The extension of a great night out. Expect contradicting textures, bleeding edge techniques, and lashings of moreishness to tantalise the palate.
• Brown Blackout: Indulge in a meal of carnal urges - sweet, hot and savoury dishes. The chef will keep you on your toes with coffee, chocolate, black garlic, squid ink, soy sauce, and liquorice.
• Multicolour Final Countdown: A communal carousal of globally-inspired festival food. Mark the culmination of The 200 Club with a multinational flavour and colour explosion, using vibrant colours with grand presentations.