clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Restaurant Killed Customer by Serving Him Detergent Instead of Wine

The man suffered burns to his windpipe, throat, and stomach.

paulaloe/Flickr

Order mix-ups in restaurants can be quite deadly: According to the Daily Mail, 50-year-old Andres Lorente was dining at a restaurant in Benicarlo, Spain on Sunday when tragedy struck. He ordered what would end up being his last glass of white wine. A server brought Lorente a glass filled with an odorless, colorless liquid which turned out to be dishwasher detergent instead of wine. Lorente took one sip and then was rushed to a hospital where he died from internal burns to his windpipe, throat, and stomach.

El Periodico Mediteráneo notes (translated) that the industrial strength detergent had for some inexplicable reason been placed inside of an empty wine bottle and then placed inside of the fridge. Police arrested the owner of the cafe but he was released on bail. Sources say that Lorente's death was a tragedy "caused by negligence rather than ill-intent."

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time a restaurant has served a customer a drink containing industrial strength cleaner. Last year, 67-year-old Jan Harding was hospitalized after drinking sweet tea at a Dickey's Barbecue Pit in Utah. The tea had accidentally been mixed with a chemical cleaner.


Eater Video: Five absurd ways to open a wine bottle

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day