Belgian chocolatier Dominique Persoone had an idea back in 2007 when he was asked to cater a party for the Rolling Stones. Why not have guests snort their dessert? The "chocolate shooter" was born, and now thousands of people are using a small catapult-like device to throw powdered cocoa up their noses and get high.
What initially started off as a joke has bloomed into a cottage industry for Persoone, who has sold over 25,000 of his chocolate shooters, along with accompanying snuffboxes of Cocoa & Ginger and Cocoa & Raspberry snortable chocolate.
Before settling on those flavors, Persoone tried mixing chocolate with chili powder and snorting it before realizing that it was a "very bad idea."
The entire concept might actually be a bad idea. According to Live Science, some experts are saying that while the practice may not be dangerous per se, snorting anything is usually a bad idea. "Snorting chocolate powder is not safe, because the powder is perceived by the nose as a foreign toxic substance," Dr. Jordan Josephson, an ear, nose and throat and sinus specialist at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York City, told Live Science. "Putting any foreign bodies — including smoke, cocaine and/or chocolate powder — is not safe and is not advised," he said.
But come on, who are you going to take your health advice from: a chocolate maker or someone with a "medical degree" who works in a "hospital?" The chocolate shooter does come with a warning label and children are advised not to use the machine.