clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Toddler Accidentally Served Sangria Instead of Juice at Texas Roadhouse

New, 21 comments

She was taken to the hospital.

Shutterstock

A two-year-old was accidentally served sangria at a Texas Roadhouse in Asheville, North Carolina last Friday. According to WLOS, the Gilliam family was at the restaurant to celebrate the 25th birthday of Derek Gilliam. The couple ordered food and a cranberry juice for their toddler Gabriela but when she sipped the drink, she said that it "tasted funny." When Derek and his wife Tiffany tasted it, they realized their daughter had been served sangria instead of juice.

The alcohol had a serious affect on Gabriela: Tiffany tells WLOS that "she was staggering and she was kissing everything." She was also throwing up. Eventually, the Gilliams took Gabriela to the hospital where the doctors offered up a pretty obvious diagnosis of "accidental alcohol ingestion." Tiffany tells the news station that she had to "rub her belly the whole night" and that she was scared Gabriela would "choke on her throw up and not wake up."

A spokesperson for Texas Roadhouse says the mix-up was an "honest mistake." ABC 11 writes that the employee at fault "feels horrible" and that the restaurant comped the family's meal and even sent a staff member to the hospital with them.

Unfortunately, this isn't the first time a very young minor was served alcohol at a restaurant. Last November, a Joe's Crab Shack in Colorado accidentally served alcohol to "several kids" between the ages of two and eight. Unlike the Texas Roadhouse employee, the Joe's Crab Shack staffer responsible for the incident was fired.

Eater Video Archives: Guy Fieri Fun Facts (2014)

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day