A former employee of Case Pork Roll in Trenton, N.J., claims he was fired from his job as comptroller for farting too much. Richard Clem filed a lawsuit against the company, writes the New York Daily News, and says his "extreme gas and uncontrollable diarrhea" were a result of life-saving gastric bypass surgery he underwent in 2010.
"I think it's disgusting. This is all very embarrassing," Clem told the Daily News. "The fact is that I was a loyal and trusted employee for 10 years."
'Who wants to hire a fart boy?'
According to the lawsuit, Clem's former boss told another co-worker, "Tell Rich that we are getting complaints from visitors who have problems with the odors." Clem's wife worked at the company as an administrative assistant, but she quit the same day he was fired. The two reportedly shared an office space out of customers' view, and that they would "just open a window" or "burn candles all the time" to combat the unpleasant odors.
Clem, 70 years old and down to 300 pounds from 420 at the time of his firing in February 2014, fears he won't be able to get another job: "Who wants to hire a fart boy?" Case Pork Roll has not responded to an Eater request for comment.
The New Jersey state appeals court recently ruled that an Atlantic City casino can fire cocktail waitresses for gaining weight, so it's hard to tell if Clem's lawsuit stands much of a chance.