The James Beard Foundation has launched its first-ever app: James Beard Foundation Vegetables. According to a press release (below), the app features step-by-step vegetable recipes that have been featured in the The James Beard Foundation's Best of the Best: A 25th Anniversary Celebration of America's Outstanding Chef cookbook. The app also includes hundreds of high-definition photos, "brief instructional videos," a built-in cooking timer, social media sharing capabilities, and a "shop" where users are provided with links to purchase products "relevant to each recipe."
All of the recipes are from Outstanding Chef award winners including legends like Alice Waters, Jeremiah Towers, and Judy Rodgers. Users can expect recipes for dishes like swiss chard ribs and glazed turnips from chef Thomas Keller (The French Laundry), beets with horseradish and wasabi from chef Daniel Humm (Eleven Madison Park), and even a cucumber margarita from chef Rick Bayless (Frontera Grill). The app, which is currently only available for iOS, is completely free for JBF members. Non-members can download the app and five recipes for free and have the option for purchasing the full recipe collection for $3.99. See the press release:
New James Beard Recipe App Debuts
The James Beard Foundation (JBF) announced today the launch of its first-ever app, James Beard Foundation Vegetables: Recipes by James Beard Award–Winning Chefs. The app highlights an array of innovative vegetable recipes featured in The James Beard Foundation's Best of the Best: A 25th Anniversary Celebration of America's Outstanding Chefs, translating them into approachable, step-by-step guides for home cooks. Whether you're a kitchen novice or a seasoned cook, JBF's inaugural app's hundreds of stunning high- definition images and brief instructional videos provide any food enthusiast with an iPhone with the tools to transform even a simple carrot into an exciting, restaurant-worthy dish.
From purchasing to plating, the interactive app seamlessly guides users through every step to create timeless dishes from some of the culinary industry's most celebrated toques. Designed by Kinetic Art, JBF Vegetables includes an array of interactive features, including: a favorites tool, built-in cooking timers, social media sharing capabilities, as well as a "shop" section that features direct links to purchase products and gadgets relevant to each recipe, carefully curated based on product performance, design, and user reviews. In addition to cooking basics, the app also provides users with background information on each of the featured JBF Award–winning chefs and their careers, with a few fun anecdotes along the way.
Recipes from JBF Outstanding Chef award winners featured in the JBF Vegetables app include:
● Alfred Portale: Beet Salad with Mango, Feta, Orange, and Mint
● Alice Waters: Summer Garden Lettuce Salad and Turnip Soup
● Charlie Trotter: French Breakfast Radish Confit and Belgian White Asparagus
● Dan Barber: Greenhouse Salad with Yogurt and Summer Zucchini
● Daniel Boulud: Seared Fennel with Fennel Purée
● Daniel Humm: Beets with Horseradish and Wasabi
● Grant Achatz: Hot Potato, Cold Potato, Black Truffle, Parmesan
● Jean-Georges Vongerichten: Green Asparagus with Morels and Asparagus Purée
● Jeremiah Tower: Mixed Vegetable Ragoût
● Judy Rodgers: Frisée and Escarole Salad with Sunchokes and Zuni's Vegetable and Bread Soup
● Larry Forgione: Jim's Creamed Hash Potatoes
● Lidia Bastianich: Bietola e Patate (Swiss Chard and Potatoes)
● Mario Batali: Cavatelli with Pesto Enrico and Fregula with Grilled Corn
● Michel Richard: Onion Fettuccine with Parmesan Cheese
● Rick Bayless: Cucumber Margarita
● Thomas Keller: Swiss Chard Ribs and Glazed Turnips
"The beautiful step-by-step photos and videos in this interactive app demonstrate just how seriously chefs take their vegetables," said Alison Tozzi Liu, editorial director of the James Beard Foundation. "The app walks users through vibrant recipes ranging from simple to complex with expert guidance from some of our food world's greatest chefs. We're excited to be bringing more digital content to JBF members and food lovers around the country."
Available now at the Apple App Store, JBF Vegetables is a mix of free and premium content. At no charge, users can download the app and enjoy any five recipes, with an in-app purchase option to unlock the full collection for $3.99. Access to the entire app is free for JBF members. After purchasing, Kinetic Art's unique cloud-driven publishing platform will continue to instantly and automatically update the app as new features are added. Platforms for iPad and Android will be available soon. Featured sponsors include: Wüsthof, OXO, and SousVide Supreme.
To download and learn more about the JBF Vegetables app, visit jamesbeard.org/app.
· New James Beard Recipe App Debuts [JBF]
· All App Coverage on Eater [-E-]