The 67-year-old Utah woman who was in critical condition after drinking sweet tea laced with a lye-based cleaner last week is showing signs of improvement. Jan Harding was eating at Dickey's Barbecue Pit after church last week when she went to fill her cup at the self-serve station with sweet tea. Immediately after taking a sip she spit it out and told her husband, "I think I just drank acid." She was taken to the University of Utah's burn center where they treated her for severe burns in her throat and mouth.
An employee had confused an industrial cleaning chemical with sweetener and mixed six cups into the tea. According to the Salt Lake Tribune, Harding was able to speak over the weekend even though "her voice is strained." She can now whisper and "get out of bed" after days of no improvement.
· Woman Poisoned by Tea Can Now Speak [Salt Lake Tribune]
· Woman Poisoned by Tea Laced With Industrial Cleaner [-E-]
· All Accidents Coverage on Eater [-E-]