- All photos courtesy of State Fair of Texas/Facebook
- Chicken Fried Loaded Baked Potato "The creamy and moist insides of a baked potato, loaded with generous amounts of butter, bacon, and cheddar cheese, are coated and battered with a delectable blend of spices and flour that create a perfect combinati
- Fried Sweet Texas "Fried Sweet Texas starts with fresh pie dough filled with crunchy pecan pie, juicy peach cobbler, and creamy buttermilk pie. It is then deep fried until the crust is golden brown and flaky, and then served up with a side of Texas'
- Funnel Cake Ale "A light and delicious ale brewed to be reminiscent of one of the telltale flavors of the State Fair – FUNNEL CAKE! This refreshing English style summer ale has been brewed to be ready and crisp, with just the right amount of toastin
Fried Gulf Shrimp Boil
"Everything you would expect in a shrimp boil rolled into a ball, dusted with Fish Fry, and fried to a golden brown! Baby gulf shrimp, diced red potatoes, onion, lemon, and seasoning are formed around a cocktail shrimp, dusted
- Deep Fried "Breakfast for Dinner" "This is a 10" flour tortilla stuffed with eight favorite breakfast items – scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, bacon, potatoes, ham, onion, cheddar cheese and gooey cinnamon roll bits – that are deep fried until gol
- Twisted Texas Tacos "This taco starts off with tender, juicy hickory smoked Texas beef brisket, double-dipped in a barbecue spiced buttermilk batter and deep fried until it is robust and beefy. It is served in a warm flour tortilla, generously layer
- Fried Sriracha Balls "A combination of shredded chicken, corn, green chilies, tomatoes, and Sriracha hot sauce, formed into balls and coated with crispy tortilla chips. It is then flash-fried until golden brown. For those who like their food higher
- Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet "The Deep Fried Texas Bluebonnet is a blueberry muffin, scone-style batter that is stuffed with cream cheese, blueberries and sweet morsels of white chocolate. It is baked and deep fried to a perfect golden brown. This mo
Visitors to the upcoming State Fair of Texas should probably start popping antacids now in preparation for the festival's insane line-up of fried food creations. Eater Dallas notes that this year is especially over-the-top. According to the Fair's Facebook page, the finalists for the 2014 Big Tex Choice Awards include Fried Sriracha Balls (a mixture of shredded chicken, corn, tomatoes, and Sriracha), Chicken Fried Loaded Baked Potatoes (a battered baked potato loaded with bacon and cheddar served with ranch), and Funnel Cake Ale.
Other items include a "shrimp boil" in fried form and tacos stuffed with deep fried brisket. Just in case that wasn't enough, people in Texas have figured out how to deep fry blueberry muffins. Texas isn't the only state with insane fried fair food. Minnesota's fair promises dishes like Jello Salad Ice Cream, Pizza Tots, and Pretzel Curds and Kentucky's fair offers deep fried versions of a Hot Brown sandwich and Derby Pie. The winners of the Big Tex Choice Awards will be announced on September 1. See a full list of dishes, descriptions, and photos below.
· State Fair of Texas to Include Fried Sriracha Balls [Eater Dallas]
· State Fair of Texas [Facebook]
· All State Fair Coverage on Eater [-E-]