clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

KFC Serves Customer Deep Fried Hand Towel

New, 1 comment
Photo: rusty_clark/Flickr, avlxyz/Flickr

A customer at a KFC in Newcastle, England was served a deep-fried blue hand towel instead of chicken. According to the Daily Mail, seven-year old Oliver Hallam bit into a piece of what he believed was chicken, but found it to be "hard and inedible." After a closer inspection, it became clear that it was not poultry but a piece of blue tissue that the chain uses for "hygiene purposes." Hallam's stepmother Krystal Henderson was concerned about what the hand towel could have contained: "It could have bleach or disinfectant on it… Had someone wiped their hands on it, had it been used to wipe the floor?"

The incident was eventually investigated and KFC apologized to the pair. The letter notes that the restaurant assumes the towel "must have fallen unseen into the breading lug…and was not noticed by the cook." Along with the apology, KFC also offered Hallam and Henderson a refund plus a free meal. Unfortunately, Henderson says that "the incident has put her and Oliver off KFC for life."

KFC has had a rough go of it lately: This week, a location in South Carolina was robbed by a former Chick-fil-A Employee. And earlier this month, a family accused a Mississippi KFC of kicking out a little girl because of her facial scars. It was later revealed to be a false claim, but only after the chain had already donated $30,000 towards the little girl's medical bills.

· KFC Diner Horrified After Son Bites Into a Piece of Chicken[Daily Mail via Consumerist]
· All KFC Coverage on Eater [-E-]

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day