clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Chef in Critical Condition After Accidentally Drinking Oven Cleaner

Photo: Goodfella's Pizzeria/Facebook

A chef is in critical condition after accidentally drinking oven cleaner. According to the Belfast Telegraph, 40 year-old Sean Slane was working at a Belfast location of the Goodfella's Pizzeria chain on Sunday when he drank from what he thought was a bottle of water. Turned out the bottle actually contained oven cleaner, which is often made from harsh chemicals.

The pizzeria declined to comment when contacted by the paper, and it was "was still open yesterday evening for business, with little sign of what had happened earlier in the day." This isn't the first case of a cleaner and food mix up: Just earlier this month, a Massachusetts teenager was hospitalized after a restaurant employee mistook a powdered chemical cleaner for parmesan cheese and sprinkled it on the teen's meal.

· Belfast Chef who Accidentally Drank Oven Cleaner Fighting for Life in Hospital [Belfast Telegraph]
· All Accident Coverage on Eater [-E-]

Goodfella's Pizzeria

11 Kennedy Way, Belfast BT11 9AP, United Kingdom

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day