A Major League Baseball player and manager are both claiming that they got food poisoning from Shake Shack at New York City's Citi Field. ESPN reports that Mets first baseman Lucas Duda and Phillies manager Ryne Sandberg both fell ill last week. Sandberg claims he lost six pounds in two days, while apparently Duda had to be hospitalized on Friday. Duda says he ate an "undercooked hamburger," though a spokesperson for the Mets "insists" that the burger must have come from a Shake Shack other than the one at Citi Field.
A rep for Shake Shack also seems skeptical, telling ESPN: "We've served thousands of guests at our Citi Field Shack over the past week, and this is the first we've heard of any issue whatsoever." In the meanwhile, the Mets are "investigating the matter" and Shake Shack has "reached out to Ryne Sandberg to get more information." Stay tuned for more details, and check out ESPN's video report below:
Video: Shake Shack Blamed for Illness
· Shake Shack Blamed for Illness [ESPN via Eater NY]
· All Food Poisoning Coverage on Eater [-E-]
· All Shake Shack Coverage on Eater [-E-]