clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Ridiculous Cocktail Garnishes Led to Children Accidentally Being Served Booze

New, 1 comment

Small plastic shark toys have never been so dangerous.

Joe's Crab Shack

A Joe's Crab Shack location in Colorado accidentally served alcohol to "several kids" between the ages of two and eightAccording to KKTV, the Montoya family was visiting the restaurant and the kids ordered a drink off the children's menu called a "Shark Nibble." Thirty minutes after the drinks were brought to the table, a waitress came by and mysteriously took them away, saying that they had been made with the incorrect ingredients. The manager of the restaurant then returned to the table explaining that those incorrect ingredients were actually booze.

While Joe's Crab Shack is not sure how alcohol was added to the kid's drinks — the restaurant is currently investigating the matter — its menu also features a similarly named adult cocktail called the "Shark Bite." Both drinks are bright blue and arrive to the table with a plastic toy shark holding a shot of red grenadine; the adult version also contains Bacardi. Luckily, after a check-up with paramedics, the children were set home without requiring further medical attention.

The Montoya family had a much better outcome than the attendees of a birthday party in Chicago. Twelve children at a party at Home Run Inn Pizza were sent to the hospital after drinking cups of "fruit punch" that ended up being alcoholic.

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day