clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Joe's Crab Shack Fires Employee Who Accidentally Served Toddler Alcohol

New, 1 comment

Why drinks topped with plastic toy sharks may cause confusion.

Last week, an employee at a Colorado location of the Joe's Crab Shack chain allegedly (and accidentally) served children alcohol, in a mix-up that might have something to do with the seafood chain's similar-sounding "Shark Nibble" and "Shark Bite" drinks. (One appears on the kid's menu, one has booze in it, but both are topped with a plastic toy shark for ultimate confusion.) Today, Joe's Crab Shack released a statement to Eater Denver, writing that the employee responsible has been fired:

Joe's Crab Shack has taken the incident at our Colorado Springs location very seriously and are working with the ABC to prevent a recurrence. We learned through an internal investigation that an employee at the restaurant had not been following procedure; their employment has since been terminated. Additionally, we dispatched a senior management team to retrain all Colorado Springs team members on proper beverage service and standards. We are doing everything we can to ensure that an incident like this does not happen again in the future.

The virgin "Shark Nibble" is supposed to contain blue-tinted fruit juice with a splash of grenadine. According to the manager who handled the incident, the children's beverages — served to a table of six kids, ages two to eight — arrived with alcohol due to "mislabeling." No one was seriously injured during the incident, and no criminal charges have been filed.

Eater Video: Beer Slushies - The Perfect Drink You've Never Heard About | Subscribe to Eater on YouTube

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day