Here now, Eater's Fall 2013 Food and Drink Events Preview. Below you will find events, conferences, and festivals happening from September to December that are focused on restaurants, chefs, food, and/or beverages.
Big name chefs are easy to find at events this Fall, both at marquee international events like Semana Mesa SP (Brazil) and Gastronomika (Spain) and at brand new festivals like Life is Beautiful (Las Vegas) and Music City Eats (Tennessee). There are plenty of panel discussions and cooking demonstrations at the events listed below, but there are also unexpected programs like a two hour boat tour with Julian Van Winkle and Allan Benton (Music to Your Mouth, South Carolina) , a celebration of Nordic cuisine in New York (NORTH, NYC), and a pig roast with John T. Edge (Jubilee, South Carolina).
Below, the list of events. If you see anything missing, you know what to do.
When: September 6 - 15
Where: Lima, Peru
What: Peru's annual gastronomic festival Mistura returns this year with a congress of all-star international chefs: Alain Ducasse, Albert Adrià, Andoni Luis Aduriz, José Andrés, Enrique Olvera, René Redzepi, Daniel Humm, Daniel Patterson, Mauro Colagreco, Massimo Bottura, Magnus Nilsson, Iñaki Aizpitarte, and Alex Atala. As for previous festivals, acclaimed Peruvian chef Gastón Acurio will also be in attendance. The congress will take place during the first four days of the festival, followed by Master Talks from top Peruvian chefs plus a Regional Kitchen with tastings from different areas of the country.
When: September 14 - 15
Where: Brooklyn, NY
What: Chef April Bloomfield is curating the first-ever Taste Talks conference in Brooklyn. There will be panel discussions and demos with chefs Mario Batali, Dan Barber, Wylie Dufresne, and Jonathan Waxman. Food media folk like Brad Thomas Parsons, Matt Duckor, Beth Kracklauer, and Oliver Strand round out a lineup that also includes musicians like Grizzly Bear's Chris Bear and My Morning Jacket's Patrick Hallahan. The conference will also include an All-Star Cookout, which will showcase collaborative dishes from teams like April Bloomfield/Nate Smith and Anthony Masters/The Mast Brothers. The weekend will conclude with Cook It Raw Brooklyn, hosted by Cook It Raw and featuring a "impromptu" outdoor dinner prepared by a group of chefs from across North America.
When: September 19 - 22
Where: Portland, OR
What: The second annual Feast Portland is almost here. The roster of chefs attending is massive and includes Hugh Acheson, April Bloomfield, Stuart Brioza and Nicola Krasinski, Sean Brock, Floyd Cardoz, Andrew Carmellini, Tom Douglas, Jason Franey, Aaron Franklin, Christopher Kostow, Stephanie Izard, Thomas McNaughton, Paul Qui, Andy Ricker, Sarah Simmons, Christina Tosi, and Michael Voltaggio. Of course, hot chefs from Portland will be there too, as will writerly types like Daniel Vaughn, Francis Lam, and J.M. Hirsch. As like last year there will be a sandwich invitational and a night market (already sold out), along with plenty of food, beer, and wine from the Pacific Northwest.
Music City Eats
When: September 21 - 22
Where: Nashville, TN
What: The inaugural Music City Eats festival will bring chefs and musicians to Nashville to celebrate the city's food and music culture. Produced by C3 (Lollapalooza, Austin City Limits), the Kings of Leon, and chef Jonathan Waxman, the festival will bring local talent like Tandy Wilson, Erik Anderson and Josh Habiger, Deb Paquette, and Matt Farley together at the Flavors of Nashville tasting event. Big name out of town chefs like Tim Love, Michael Symon, John Besh, Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, Nancy Silverton, John Currence, and Ed Lee will be coming in for Harvest Night. There will also be a Tom Petty tribute concert called Petty Fest featuring the Kings of Leon, Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell, Norah Jones, and Jakob Dylan.
Also in September:Hawaii Food and Wine Festival: The third annual Hawaii Food and Wine Festival is bringing in big names like Grant Achatz, Chris Cosentino, Dominique Crenn, Hubert Keller, Anita Lo, Nobu Matsuhisa, Masaharu Morimoto, Nancy Silverton, Christina Tosi, Ming Tsai, and many more. (September 1 - 9)
· Meatopia UK: Josh Ozersky's meatfest will be in London for the first time ever for Meatopia UK featuring dishes from Aaron Franklin, Tim Byres, Seamus Mullen, Fergus Henderson, Neil Rankin and others. (September 7)
· Historic Sagville's Harvest Festival: Culinary historian Michael Twitty will be preparing a dinner celebrating African-American Southern cuisine using nineteenth century cooking techniques for Historic Sagville's Harvest Festival in Durham, NC. (September 7)
· Arrows' 25th Anniversary Gala: For the acclaimed Maine restaurant Arrows' 25th Anniversary Gala, chefs Mark Gaier and Clark Frasier will be preparing a special dinner with chefs like Jeremiah Tower, Debbie Gold, Patricia Yeo, and Takashi Yagihashi. (September 22)
· Le Grand Fooding: Le Grand Fooding returns to New York with the theme of culinary time travel with chefs Peter Gordon, Yves Camdeborde, Frank Castronovo, and Frank Falcinelli preparing a "Time Mach'Inn" dinner. (September 27 - 28)
· Chicago Gourmet: The annual Chicago Gourmet will be going international this year, featuring chefs like Hideaki Matsuo, Jordi Vilà, Lionel Rigolet plus an impressive roster of local talent like Art Smith, Graham Elliot, Andrew Zimmern, Takashi Yagihashi, and Carrie Nahabedian. (September 27 - 29)
· Eat Real: California's totally free-to-attend food festival Eat Real returns to Oakland with a focus on street food, with a lineup of Bay Area chefs including Tanya Holland, Charlie Holowell, Russ Moore, and Kyle Itani. (September 27 - 30)
· Thai Food Festival: The first-ever Thai Food Festival in Los Angeles will have demos, discussion panels, Thai dancing, umbrella painting, and plenty of Thai food tastings. Chefs Jet Tila, Andy Ricker, Susan Feniger, and Sang Yoon are all participating. (September 29)
· International Chefs Congress:This year's annual International Chefs Congress in New York City is themed "Guts & Glory" and among the big names in attendance will be Dave Arnold, Danny Bowien, Dominique Crenn, Adam Fleischman, and François Payard. (September 29 - October 1)
· Taste America: The James Beard Foundation is launching its Taste America tour this Fall which will bring a series of one-night-only dinners cooked by big names chefs to ten cities across the country. (September - October)
When: October 2 - 7
Where: New York City
What: New York City is going Scandinavian with a six-day festival celebrating Nordic cuisine called NORTH. On the roster are NY chefs like Marcus Jernmark, Fredrik Berselius, Mads Refslund, Daniel Burns and international chefs like Matt Orlando, Gunnar Karl Gislason, and Gustav Tradgardh. Over the course of the festival there will be dinners, Master Classes, and plenty of Nordic food to go around.
When: October 6 - 9
Where: San Sebastian, Spain
What: The theme of this year's San Sebastian Gastronomika will be London and its dining scene, bringing British chefs Clare Smyth, Fergus Henderson, Jason Atherton, Isaac McHale, James Lowe, Heston Blumenthal, and more to Spain. The congress will also feature presentations from Spanish chefs working in London, plus big names like Andoni Luis Aduriz, Quique Dacosta, Juan Mari Arzak, Elena Arzak, and Joan Roca. SF chef Corey Lee will be there too, giving a talk called "Hallucinating Korea."
New York City Wine & Food Festival
When: October 17 - 20
Where: New York City
What: The local talent at the New York City Wine & Food Festival includes David Chang, Michael Anthony, Daniel Boulud, Dominique Ansel, and Dan Barber. They'll be joining Food Network stars like Ted Allen, Anne Burrell, Giada De Laurentiis, Guy Fieri, and Rachael Ray for the annual program of dinners, demonstrations, seminars, and tastings.
Life Is Beautiful Festival
When: October 26 - 27
Where: Las Vegas
What: The inaugural Life Is Beautiful Festival is more than just a standard food festival: it's a two-day celebration of "of how beautiful life truly is." To that end, well-known chefs like Tom Colicchio, Charlie Palmer, Nancy Silverton, Hubert Keller, Rick Moonen, Scott Conant, Donald Link, and Chris Cosentino will head to Vegas for "culinary parties" and demos. The festival will also have an art component, plus an impressive musical lineup including Beck, Vampire Weekend, The Killers, Kings of Leon, and Passion Pit.
Also in October:Good Food Month: Formerly known as Crave Sydney, the Sydney Morning Herald's Good Food Month brings an impressive roster of chefs to Sydney for talks and demos, headlined by René Redzepi. (October)
· Latin Flavors, American Kitchen:The Culinary Institute of America will host their fifth annual Latin Flavors, American Kitchen event at their San Antonio campus, bringing in chefs and scholars for this symposium on Latin cuisine and culture. (October 2 - 4)
· Greenwich Wine & Food Festival: This year's Greenwich Wine & Food Festival will feature Joe Bastianich, Richard Blais, François Payard, Graham Elliot, Duff Goldman, plus local Connecticut chefs for demos and tastings. (October 3 - 5)
· Food & Wine All-Star Weekend: The annual Food & Wine All-Star Weekend in Vegas will feature heavyweight chefs like Joël Robuchon, Jean Georges Vongerichten, Michael Mina, and Shawn McClain. (October 4 - 6)
· Identità New York: This year will be the fourth annual Identità New York and, as in past years, it will feature Italian and American chefs cooking side by side at Eataly NY. (October 4 - 6)
· Las Vegas Wine & Food Festival: The Las Vegas Wine & Food Festival will be headlined by Charlie Palmer and Stephen Hopcraft, who will join participating restaurants and wineries for a one-day celebration at the Red Rock Casino and Resort. (October 12)
· La Jolla Art & Wine Festival: The fifth annual La Jolla Art & Wine Festival will feature the artwork of over 150 San Diego area artists, a wine and beer garden, and a food court and marketplace highlighting local restaurants and vendors. (October 12 - 13)
· Isthmus Food & Wine Festival: This year's Isthmus Food & Wine Festival will bring local chefs and artisans together in Madison, WI for a two-day "marketplace" event with tastings, exhibitions, demonstrations, and shopping. (October 18 -19)
· Out Of The Box: The espresso machine makers at La Marzocco are hosting their third biennial design conference which will bring coffee experts, industrial designers, and other interested folk to Milan. (October 18 - 19)
· Bid Against Hunger: City Harvest's Bid Against Hunger mega-event in New York City will offer small bites from over 70 restaurants in the city including: Frankies 570 Spuntino, Pok Pok NY, Rao's, Le Bernardin, and Atera. (October 22)
· Taste of Atlanta: The 12th annual Taste of Atlanta will feature cooking demos and presentations on four live stages, dishes from over 90 local restaurants, hands-on cooking classes, and a bartending competition. (October 25 - 27)
Semana Mesa SP
When: November 4 - 8
Where: Sao Paulo, Brazil
What: One of the major international food festivals, this year's Semana Mesa SP will feature presentations from local chefs like Alex Atala and Jefferson Rueda, plus out of towners like Magnus Nilsson, Mari Hirata, Massimo Bottura, and Christian Puglisi. For the 10th annual festival, Semana Mesa SP will be titled (in English translation) Roots, and will focus on "the ancestry of our food."
Capital Food Fight
When: November 11
Where: Washington, DC
What: Now celebrating its 10th anniversary, DC Central Kitchen's benefit Capital Food Fight always draws big names, and this year is no exception. This year, José Andrés and Carla Hall will host the Iron Chef-style live competition for local chefs. Tom Colicchio, Rick Bayless, Todd English, and Art Smith will be judging.
New York Taste
When: November 11
Where: New York City
What: New York magazine's annual New York Taste will bring together 40 of New York City's chefs for a one-night only tasting event. This year's lineup includes Dominique Ansel, Dale Talde, Laurent Tourondel, Joe Ng, Michael Psilakis, Masaharu Morimoto, George Mendes, and Jonathan Benno.
Music to Your Mouth
When: November 19 - 24
Where: Bluffton, South Carolina
What: Programming at this year's Music to Your Mouth festival ranges from a five course meal with courses from Beard Award-winning Southern chefs Sean Brock, John Currence, Chris Hastings, Linton Hopkins, Mike Lata, and Anne Quatrano to a two hour cruise of the May River with Julian Van Winkle and Allan Benton (pork and Pappy included, of course). There will also be a 5K, master classes, and an oyster roast.
Also in November:Meatopia Texas: Josh Ozersky's meatfest will be headed to San Antonio for the first time for Meatopia Texas, where Paul Qui, Chris Shepherd, and Tim Byres will be among the 30 chefs participating. (November 2 - 3)
· TMBBQ Fest: The annual TMBBQ Fest in Austin, Texas will feature barbecue from the magazine's top 50 list, including Franklin Barbecue, Louie Mueller Barbecue, Lockhart Smokehouse, and Snow's BBQ. (November 3)
· Denver International Wine Festival: The four-day Denver International Wine Festival will offer wine-lovers vintners dinners, seminars, guided tastings, plus a Grand Tasting showcasing more than 400 wines. (November 6 - 9)
· Worlds of Flavor: This year's Worlds of Flavor conference at the CIA's Napa Valley campus will feature presentations from Lisa Abend, Dominique Crenn, Larry Forgione, Thomas Keller, Nathan Myhrvold, and many more on the theme of "Millennial Appetites, Information Technology, Creativity, and Culinary Science." (November 14 - 16)
· Enjoy Arts & Tastes: The first-ever Enjoy Arts & Tastes - St. Pete & the Bay Area Festival of Food will celebrate the Florida culinary scene with events like a "Sense Immersion Dinner" with Todd English and Duncan McClellan. Scott Conant, Masaharu Morimoto, Lorena Garcia, Duff Goldman, and Ming Tsai will also be there. (November 15 - 17)
· Eater Awards: The annual Eater Awards celebration in New York City will feature tastings from nominated chefs and restaurants from around the country. Winners will be announced the next day and of course there will be large cans of tomatoes on hand. (November 17 - 18)
· Flavor! Napa Valley: This year's Flavor! Napa Valley festival benefiting the CIA will feature chefs and wine folk including Roy Choi, Mario Carbone, Rich Torrisi, Todd English, Larry Forgione, Chris Kostow, Peter Mondavi, Robert Bath, Karen MacNeil, and Mike Grgich. (November 20 - 24)
· San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival: The 10th annual San Diego Bay Wine & Food Festival will feature chefs from across the country including Alex Stupak and Richard Blais along with plenty of local chefs like Chad White, Jason McLeod, and Jaison Burke. (November 20 - 24)
· Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival: As in past years, the Barbados Food & Wine and Rum Festival will feature a small lineup of big name chefs, this year: Marcus Samuelsson, Jose Garces, Anne Burrell, Mark McEwan, and Aaron McCargo, Jr. (November 22 - 25)
When: December 6 - 8
Where: Charleston, SC
What: The first-ever Jubilee festival hosted by Garden & Gun aims to bring the pages of the magazine to life with food, shopping, and workshops with local artisans. The festival also boasts some pretty big names including Mike Lata, Sarah O'Kelley, Brooks Reitz, Rodney Scott, plus John T. Edge (who also is on the advisory committee). Key events of the festival will be a marketplace of artisanal Southern food products and a finale pig roast.
Twelve Days of Christmas
When: December 6 - 21
Where: Napa Valley, CA
What: For it's sixth annual Twelve Days of Christmas celebration, Chris Kostow and the Restaurant at Meadowood have invited David Chang, Andy Ricker, Mark Ladner and Brooks Headley, Nicolaus Balla and Cortney Burns, and David Kinch to cook dinners at their restaurant. Each night's dinner will be paired with California wines. This event is pricey; a seat in the dining will cost $395 while a seat at the chef's table is $750. 20% of each dinner ticket sold, plus $2,000 per chef goes to various Napa Valley charities.
Also in December:Valley Forge Beer Festival: The annual Valley Forge Beer Festival in Pennsylvania will feature plenty of beer and seminars about beer. The beer lineup for this year hasn't been announced yet, but last year's event boasted over 100 options. (December 7)
· Palm Beach Food & Wine Festival: This year's Palm Beach Food & Wine Festival will bring Daniel Boulud, David Burke, Mike Isabella, Christina Tosi, and Todd English to Florida along with Food Network folk including Marc Summers and Robert Irvine. (December 13 -17)