Yes, yes, you're all very funny: the internet has outdone itself this April Fools' Day with jokes galore. So what's happening across the food and restaurant world? Food52 became Food1852, Scope released a bacon flavor, Google is testing an olfactory search engine that will no doubt lead you straight to the best barbecue restaurants, and a new brewery is using water from New York's fantastically polluted Gowanus Canal to brew its beer. Below, Eater rounded up the best food and restaurant pranks out there. It's still early in the day, however: if you come across any new jokes, do pipe up in the comments. And be careful out there.
Food1852Recipe website Food52 went old school this year: really, really old school, as in Food1852. The entire front page has been redone in sepia and touts stories like "Who You Callin' a Hoecake?" and "Chicken Slaughter 101: It's All in the Wrist."
Rene Redzepi's "Audial Eating" Pop-Up in ManchesterA pop-up at Manchester's Town Hall will feature the acclaimed Danish chef's newest experiment in dining: Audial Eating. According to Redzepi, "The ringing of the bells will be matched with food from across the Nordic region plus some moss from the Town Hall walls. The bells are very loud especially the hour bell. This is important." According to a spokesperson from Manchester, the whole thing will be "cock-a-poots."
Bacon ScopeWorking off the premise that everything is better with bacon, Scope has "introduced" bacon mouthwash. "For breath that sizzles," indeed. (Sorry, bacon lovers: it's a joke.)
The Newest LA Burger Chain: Golgugi BurgerRiffing on popular Los Angeles burger chain Umami Burger, LA Weekly "announces" Golgugi Burger. The restaurant is named after a newly discovered sixth taste, golgugi, described as "the sensation when the tongue feels fizzy with a hearty twinge." Sure, why not.
Google NoseGoogle has announced plans for a "beta olfactory search" called Google Nose. Imagine the impact this could have on the bakery industry; the video above shows a popular search is "cookies." Also, Buffalo sauce smells like "Hot sauce, oil and lots (and lots) of meat."
No AppetitBon Appetit? Try No Appetit.
Recipe: Hot Boiling WaterEver wonder how restaurants get their water to boil so hot? Wonder no more: All Recipes walks you through it start to finish, complete with an instructional video.
Seamless Offers "Deluxe Delivery"Online food delivery service Seamless gets in on the game with a new "deluxe delivery" option that includes adonis, supermodel, and surprise me.
Artisanal AirThe Bold Italic reports on a hot new trend in San Francisco: Artisanal air. Quote: "Fed up with the regular old nitrogen-oxygen blend ('So corporate,' Jason moans), Jason is a pioneer in the artisanal air movement. Inside his soon-to-be-opened shop, he lovingly crafts small-batch handmade air, bottled in repurposed Mason jars.
Pranks, Pranks, Pranks
· Texas State Rep Introduces Statewide Ban On Breakfast Tacos [Burnt Orange Report]
· Restaurant Review: 12 Things I Hate About '13 [Medium]
· Soccer Club Accuses Nome of Stealing Plants From Playing Lawn [Nationalt via @ReneRedzepiNoma]
· Jose Andres Lashes Out at Auditorium Full of Students [GW Hatchet]
· Prank Houston Food News [Hank on Food]
· Robicelli's to Serve Artisan Deviled Eggs [Robicelli's]
· Doc Sconz Announces Facebook Cookbook Collaboration [Doc Sconz]
· David Bouley Does Mexican Food, Denny's to Open With Craft Cocktails [Tribeca Citizen]
· Olde Gowanus Brews With Water From Gowanus Canal [VV]
· Happy Little Hasbrowns [Cooking Comically]
· Seattle Restaurant Flips the Script For April Fool's Day [My Northwest]
· The Butcher & Larder Going In New Direction With New Partners [Sky Full of Bacon]
· Kim Kardashian to Open Miami Pop-up Restaurant [Miami New Times]
· Mike Solomonov and Han Chiang Plan Star Wars Collaboration [Foobooz]
UPDATE 1:00 ET:
Chipotle Takes Over the Birthplace of the BurritoEater SF got this supposed internal memo from Chipotle claiming the chain was taking over El Faro, the birthplace of San Francisco's famous Mission-style burritos. One clue it's a fake? Chipotle's CEO is Steve Ells, not Steve Ellis.
UPDATE 1:08 ET:
· Where Slow Food Meets Snow Food: Siberia on Baffin Island [BonApp]
UPDATE 1:12 ET:
KibbleHubLike GrubHub, but for dogs.
UPDATE 1:30 ET:
· Mad Men Themed Cocktail Lounge To Open at Fort Lauderdale Airport [New Times]
UPDATE 1:59 ET:
· New Restaurant Concept Eschews Plates For
Handmade Artisanal Troughs [D Mag]
UPDATE 1:03 ET:
· 5 Tips For Culinary Deception [Modernist Cuisine]
UPDATE 1:05 ET:
· Vermont Restaurant Brings the Farm Actually, Physically Inside the Restaurant [August First]
UPDATE 4:10 ET:
Domino's Pizza in Japan gets in on April Fools' Day and announces Pizza in a Can. [via Slice]
UPDATE 4:15 ET:
· SF: Delfina Press Release: House-Made Water
UPDATE 4:35 ET:
· Littlest Goat Petting Zoo Opens in Lincoln Park Zoo [Gapers Block]
· Beer-can pigeon: It's what's for dinner [Chicago Reader]
UPDATE 4:45 ET:
· The House strip club closing, to become Spike Mendelsohn restaurant the Champagne Room [Columbia Heights]
UPDATE 4:50 ET:
· Applebee's to Launch 'Dining Over the Sink' Concept [BA]
UPDATE 5:20 ET:
In a tradition that started last year, the Portland pizza restaurant Sizzle Pie is faking people out with these "parking tickets" that in actuality, are coupons redeemable for a free slice of pizza at either of their locations.
UPDATE 6:00 ET:
Above is a one-minute fake trailer mocking action/epidemic movies by hamburger chain Fatburger. Because who wouldn't want to have their hamburgers tied to virus outbreaks?
UPDATE 6:02 ET:
· Exclusive: Wynn To Open Wholesale Bottle Service Nightclub [Vegas Tripping]
UPDATE 6:47 ET:
Above a screen grab of Trader Joe's product webpage that includes Organic Blue Wildebeest Milk, Kale & Onion Mochi Ice Cream, Raspberry-less Jelly-less Raspberry Jelly, and Cookie Butter White Wine.
This list will be updated throughout the day, so keep us updated in the comments or email us.
· All Pranks Coverage on Eater [-E-]