Sarah Lockard is the "CEO and Publisher" of AroundMainLine.com in Philadelphia, and yesterday Philadelphia magazine ran an email she sent to area restaurants in which she offered them a "VERY innovative" and "exciting" opportunity: to host her family dinner on Christmas Eve in exchange for coverage on her site, Facebook posts, Instagram photos, and more. It's unclear which restaurants were approached with this opportunity, but at least one of them was pissed enough to forward it to the magazine. So what exactly does a restaurant get for the honor of hosting the Lockard family Christmas?
In exchange for a dinner for five members of her "amazing" family — she wrote that she'd "tip according to the value to the server" at least? — she offers "approximately $1,000 in PR." Which includes:
· Two posts on AML's Facebook page "promoting the respective restaurant as the restaurant of choice for AML's family for Christmas Eve." It has 5,000 followers.
· Five Instagram photos "during the dining experience." It has 559 followers.
· Two AML enewsletter ads in January and February 2014, which Lockard claims "reaches over 3,000 unique individuals."
· A listing in the AML Christmas Eve dining guide published Dec 10th, 2013 on AML. (As commenters on the Philadelphia post note, the email was sent at 9:17 PM on December 9th, so, um, make your choice quickly.)
Eater has reached out to Lockard and AroundMainLine for comment and received no response by publication time. Below, the entirety of Lockard's email:
From: Sarah Lockard
Date: December 9, 2013 at 9:17:32 PM EST
Subject: Host the Awesome Lockards on Christmas Eve!
Every Christmas Eve my family enjoys an amazing night dining out and this year I am offering you the exciting opportunity to be our restaurant that hosts us!
The host restaurant will receive approximately $1,000 in PR with AML:
1) 2 Facebook posts on AML's Facebook page promoting t
2) 5 instagram photos during the dining experience
3) 2 AML enewsletter ads in Jan and Feb 2014 (reaches over 3,000 unique individuals)
4) listed in our Christmas Eve dining guide published Dec 10th, 2013 on AML.
We are asking for the following in turn:
Dinner for 5 drinks and food compensated, we will tip according to the value to the server.
This is a VERY innovative and effective way to promote your restaurant on this very competitive evening and reach tens of thousands of local foodies through AML's channels.
Please note this is first come, first serve.
I am excited to hear from you!
Be THE top restaurant we recommend this Christmas Eve to our HUGE audience!!!!
Your Online Magazine Covering the Main Line and Western Suburbs
Providing Online Advertising, Marketing, Events, Social Media Consulting and More!
Organizer of Main Line Restaurant Week
· Here's How to Get Your Restaurant Publicity On AroundMainLine.com [Philly Mag via Eater Philly]
· All Food Media Coverage on Eater [-E-]