Both NBC 5 and ABC 7 out of Chicago are reporting that legendary Chicago chef Charlie Trotter has died. Very few details seem to be available at this time; Trotter was reportedly found unresponsive at his home (or "a Chicago residence," as NBC has it) and was later pronounced dead at Northwestern Memorial Hospital. He was 54 years old.
Trotter was known for his two Michelin-star eponymous restaurant, which he shuttered in 2012 in order to go to graduate school. During the restaurant's 25 years, dozens of famous chefs passed through its kitchens including Grant Achatz of Alinea, Homaro Cantu of Moto, Giuseppe Tentori of Boka, and Graham Elliot of Graham Elliot.
Unfortunately, Trotter's last brush with the media was a bizarre incident involving a cancelled high school art exhibit. Little information is available about Trotter's death at this time; more as it become available.
UPDATE 1:32 PM: The Chicago Tribune has additional details. Trotter was discovered unconscious at home this morning by his son Dylan, and an ambulance was called. They also have comment from Graham Elliot, who calls Trotter's death "a huge loss not just personally but for the culinary world."
UPDATE 2:45 PM: The food world reacts to Trotter's death.
Video: JBFA 2012 - Humanitarian of The Year
Video: Charlie Trotter on Management
Video: The Kitchen Sessions With Charlie Trotter
Video: 20 Years of Charlie Trotter's
Video: Tastemakers: Charlie Trotter
Video: Charlie Trotter on Excellence
· A Chef Whose Touch Will Last [NYT]
· Morgan Stanley Manager Has Meal 424 at Charlie Trotter's [Bloomberg]
· Chef Charlie Trotter's Last Supper [Nuvo]
· Tyranny–It's What's for Dinner [Vanity Fair]
· Chuck, full of ambition [TOC]
· Design and Charlie Trotter [Fast Company]
· Matthias Merges on Yusho & Working For Charlie Trotter [Eater]
· Chefs, Friends Celebrate Charlie Trotter on Last Night [Eater Chicago]
· Charlie Trotter's pressure cooker [Chicago Tribune]
· Charlie Trotter preaches excellence to the extreme [Chicago Tribune]
· Larry Stone: Returning to Trotter's, Danger of TV Somms [Eater]
· 8 Notable Restaurants From 8 Charlie Trotter's Alumni [Eater]
· (More) Notable Restaurants From Charlie Trotter's Alumni [Eater]
· JBF's 2012 Humanitarian Award Goes to Charlie Trotter [Eater]
· Charlie Trotter, a Leader Left Behind [NYT]
· Charlie Trotter through the years [Chicago Tribune]
· The Toqueland Interview: Charlie Trotter, Part 1 [Toqueland]
· The Toqueland Interview: Charlie Trotter, Part 2 [Toqueland]
· Tributes: Charlie Trotter [Leonard Lopate/WNYC]
· Charlie Trotter Talks Closing Restaurant, His Future [Eater Chicago]
· Did I ever tell you the best part about working for Charlie Trotter? [Homaro Cantu]
· Ryan Sutton: Charlie Trotter, Chef Who Promoted Tasting Menus, Dies at 54 [Bloomberg]
· In Memoriam: Charlie Trotter [JBF]
· Chicago Chef Charlie Trotter Dead at 54 [NBC 5]
· Charlie Trotter dies at 54 [ABC 7]
· Sources: Famed chef Charlie Trotter found dead in home [Chicago Tribune]
· All Charlie Trotter Coverage on Eater [-E-]