Below, the second half of of Eater's Fall 2012 cookbook and food book preview. Included in this section: famous cookbook authors, television, magazines, newspapers, websites, blogs, single subject, meat, vegetarian/vegan, memoirs, histories, non-fiction, and general/miscellaneous. If you're looking for books about chefs, restaurants, bakeries, booze, American or International food, perhaps you might be interested in part one?
· Chefs, Restaurants, and Other Famous Food Folk · Famous Cookbook Authors · Pastry/Bakeries/Sweets · Television · Magazines and Newspapers · The Blogs · American Regional · International · Single Subject · Meat · Vegan/Vegetarian · Booze · Memoirs and Histories · General/Miscellaneous
Famous Cookbook Authors
Canal House Cooks Every Day by Melissa Hamilton and Christopher Hirsheimer.
This book from the folks behind the popular (and gorgeous) Canal House series focuses on their daily email Canal House Cooks Lunch. While the emails just feature photographs — "meant to inspire," says Hirsheimer — the book will also contain recipes.
Andrews McMeel Publishing: October 30.
- Sweet Celebrations: Our Favorite Cupcake Recipes, Memories, and Decorating Secrets That Add Sparkle to Any Occasion by Katherine Kallinis Berman and Sophie Kallinis LaMontagne. HarperOne: October 9.
- Larousse: On Cooking by Editions Larousse. Wiley: October 16.
- Larousse: On Pastry by Editions Larousse. Wiley: October 16.
- Lidia's Favorite Recipes: 100 Foolproof Italian Dishes, from Basic Sauces to Irresistible Entrées by Lidia Bastianich. Knopf: October 16.
- The Mini Minimalist: Simple Recipes for Satisfying Meals by Mark Bittman. Clarkson Potter: October 16.
- American Cookery by Amelia Simmons. Andrews McMeel Publishing: October 16.
- The Essential James Beard Cookbook: 400 Recipes That Shaped the Tradition of American Cooking by James Beard and Rick Rodgers. St. Martin's Press: October 30.
- CookFight: 2 Cooks, 12 Challenges, 125 Recipes, an Epic Battle for Kitchen Dominance by Julia Moskin and Kim Severson. Ecco: October 30.
- Joanne Weir's Cooking Confidence: Dinner Made Simple by Joanne Weir. Taunton Press: November 13.
Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter by Steven Rinella
The host of the Sportsman Channel's MeatEater, Steve Rinella discusses his 100% insane sounding life of hunting: he "feeds his family from the food he hunts" (he lives in Brooklyn), used to be a fur trapper, and, according to a blurb by Anthony Bourdain, generally lives a "life is very different from yours or mine."
Spiegel & Grau: September 4.
Jamie Oliver's Great Britain: 130 of My Favorite British Recipes, from Comfort Food to New Classics by Jamie Oliver.
Jamie Oliver takes on his native cuisine in the American release of this book, which topped the year-end book sales charts in the UK.
Hyperion: October 2.
- The Complete Cook's Country TV Show Cookbook by the editors of Cook's Country. Boston Common Press: September 1.
- True Blood: Eats, Drinks, and Bites from Bon Temps by Gianna Sobol and Alan Ball. Chronicle Books: September 5.
- The Unofficial Downton Abbey Cookbook: From Lady Mary's Crab Canapes to Mrs. Patmore's Christmas Pudding - More Than 150 Recipes from Upstairs and Downstairs by Emily Ansara Baines. Adams Media: September 18.
- MasterChef (TM): The Ultimate Cookbook by the Contestants and Judges of MasterChef. Rodale Books: September 18.
- Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories by Rocco DiSpirito. Grand Central Life & Style: September 25.
- The Chew: Food. Life. Fun. by Mario Batali, Gordon Elliott, Carla Hall, Clinton Kelly, Daphne Oz, Michael Symon. Hyperion: September 25.
- Short & Simple Family Recipes by Amy Roloff. Westwinds Press: October 1
- In the Kitchen with David: QVC's Resident Foodie Presents Comfort Foods That Take You Home by David Venable. Ballantine Books: October 9.
- Simply Ming in Your Kitchen by Ming Tsai. Kyle Books: October 16.
- One Dish at a Time: Delicious Recipes and Stories from an Italian-American Childhood and Beyond by Valerie Bertinelli. Rodale Books: October 16.
- Emeril's Kicked-Up Sandwiches: Stacked with Flavor by Emeril Lagasse. William Morrow Cookbooks: October 16.
- Sabor!: A Passion for Cuban Cuisine by Ana Quincoces. Running Press: October 23.
- Keys to the Kitchen: The Essential Reference for Becoming a More Accomplished, Adventurous Cook by Aida Mollenkamp. Chronicle Books: October 24.
- From Mama's Table to Mine: Everybody's Favorite Comfort Foods at 350 Calories or Less by Bobby Deen and Melissa Clark. Ballantine Books: October 30.
- Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust by Ina Garten. Clarkson Potter: October 30.
- My Year in Meals by Rachael Ray. Atria Books: November 13.
- Tyler Florence Fresh by Tyler Florence. Clarkson Potter: December 4.
Magazines, Newspapers, Websites
La Cucina Italiana Encyclopedia of Italian Cooking by the Editors of La Cucina Italiana.
Does the world need another Italian cookbook? If it does, it's probably this one: the comprehensive book of Italian techniques from the Italian magazine that's been publishing since 1929. 500 recipes, 3,000 photographs. What more do you need?
Rizzoli: October 30.
- Real Simple Meals Made Easy: Quick and Delicious Recipes for Every Night of the Week by the editors of Real Simple. Oxmoor House: September 11.
- The Science of Good Cooking by the Editors of America's Test Kitchen. Cook's Illustrated: October 1.
- The America's Test Kitchen DIY Cookbook by the Editors at America's Test Kitchen. Boston Common Press: October 1.
- The Sunset Essential Western Cookbook by the editors of Sunset. Oxmoor House: October 16.
- Cooking Light The New Way to Cook Light: A Delicious Celebration of Great Food by the editors of Cooking Light magazine. Oxmoor House: October 16.
- In Season: More Than 150 Fresh and Simple Recipes from New York Magazine Inspired by Farmers' Market Ingredients by Rob Patronite and Robin Raisfeld. Blue Rider Press: October 25.
- Chocolate Passion: Recipes and Inspiration from the Kitchens of Chocolatier Magazine by Tish Boyle and Timothy Moriarty. Wiley: October 30.
- The Food52 Cookbook, Volume 2: Seasonal Recipes from Our Kitchens to Yours by Amanda Hesser and Merrill Stubbs. William Morrow Cookbooks: November 13.
The Smitten Kitchen Cookbook by Deb Perelman.
Deb Perelman has drawn legions of followers to her blog Smitten Kitchen with her refreshing, contemporary take on home cooking and her stunning, sparse photography. Now she's bringing the act to print with this collection of 100 "almost entirely new" recipes.
Knopf: October 30.
- White Jacket Required: A Culinary Coming-of-Age Story by Jenna Weber. Sterling Epicure: September 4.
- Weelicious: 140 Fast, Fresh, and Easy Recipes by Catherine McCord. William Morrow Cookbooks: September 18.
- Muy Bueno: Three Generations of Authentic Mexican Flavor by Yvette Marquez-Sharpnack, Veronica Gonzalez-Smith, and Evangelina Soza. Hippocrene Books: October 1.
- Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille by Aran Goyoaga. Little, Brown and Company: October 23.
Thanksgiving: How to Cook It Well by Sam Sifton.
Former New York Times restaurant critic Sam Sifton manned the paper's Thanksgiving Day cooking crisis hotline for years, and now he's turned that knowledge into a book. Get this so you can stop worrying about the food and focus on what really matters on Thanksgiving Day: eating tons of pie.
Random House: October 23.
- Go Nuts!: The Texan Pecan Cookbook by DeWayne McCasland. TSTC Publishing: September 1.
- Black Pot For Beginners: Sure-Fire Methods to Get a Great Dutch Oven Dish Every Time by Mark Hansen. Hobble Creek, Inc.: September 11.
- I Love Cinnamon Rolls! by Judith Fertig. Andrews McMeel Publishing: September 11.
- Mac & Cheese: More than 80 Classic and Creative Versions of the Ultimate Comfort Food by Ellen Brown. Running Press: September 11.
- The Mushroom Recipe Cookbook by Steven Wheeler. Southwater: September 16.
- Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking: The Ultimate Guide for Home-Scale and Market Producers by Gianaclis Caldwell. Chelsea Green Publishing: September 19.
- All the Tea in China: History, Methods and Musings by Wang Jian. Better Link Press: September 20.
- Salty Snacks: Make Your Own Chips, Crisps, Crackers, Pretzels, Dips, and Other Savory Bites by Cynthia Nims. Ten Speed Press: September 25.
- Roots: The Definitive Compendium with more than 225 Recipes by Chronicle Books: September 26.
- The Yogurt Cookbook: Recipes from Around the World by Arto der Haroutunian. Interlink Pub Group: September 26.
- Whole Grains for a New Generation: Light Dishes, Hearty Meals, Sweet Treats, and Sundry Snacks for the Everyday Cook by Liana Krissoff. Stewart, Tabori & Chang: October 1.
- A Feast of Weeds: A Literary Guide to Foraging and Cooking Wild Edible Plants by Luigi Ballerini. University of California Press: October 1.
- The Cheesemaker's Apprentice: An Insider's Guide to the Art and Craft of Homemade Artisan Cheese, Taught by the Masters by Sasha Davies and David Bleckmann. Quarry Books: October 1.
- Thanksgiving: Recipes for a Holiday Meal by Lou Seibert Pappas. Weldon Owen: October 2.
- Salad & Vegetable Cooking Box by Steven Wheeler and Christine Ingram. Lorenz Books: October 16.
- We Love Madeleines by Miss Madeleine. Chronicle Books: October 17.
- Modern Sauces: Sauce-Making for Everyone by Martha Holmberg. Chronicle Books: October 17.
- Marshmallow Magic by Genevieve Taylor. Bantam Press: October 25.
- Dutch Oven: Cast-Iron Cooking over an Open Fire by Carsten Bothe. Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.: October 28.
- Fondue: Sweet and savory recipes for gathering around the table with friends by Bob and Colleen Simmons. Weldon Owen: October 30.
- The Everyday Wok Cookbook: Simple and Satisfying Recipes for the Most Versatile Pan in Your Kitchen by Lorna Yee. Sasquatch Books: October 30.
Preserving Wild Foods: A Modern Forager's Recipes for Curing, Canning, Smoking & Pickling by
Matthew Weingarten and Raquel Pelzel. Storey Publishing, LLC: November 6.
- Mini Donuts: 100 Bite-Sized Donut Recipes to Sweeten Your "Hole" Day by Jessica Segarra. Adams Media: November 18.
- Melt: 100 Amazing Adventures in Grilled Cheese by Shane Sanford Kearns. Adams Media: November 18.
- The Kimchi Cookbook: 60 Traditional and Modern Ways to Make and Eat Kimchi by Lauryn Chun. Ten Speed Press: November 27.
- The Cracker Book: Artisanal Crackers for Every Occasion by Lee E. Cart. Burford Books: December 16.
Afield: A Chef's Guide to Preparing and Cooking Wild Game and Fish by Jesse Griffiths.
Austin chef/butcher Jesse Griffiths wants you to get out there and see what the world around you has to offer. This guide for the new hunter/fisher features "hunting lessons, butchery methods, recipes, including how to scale, clean, stuff, fillet, skin, braise, fry and more." Get on it.
Welcome Books: September 18.
- Uncle Dave's Cow and Other Whole Animals My Freezer Has Known by Leslie Miller. Mountaineers Books: October 1.
- The Great Meat Cookbook: Everything You Need to Know to Buy and Cook Today's Meat by Bruce Aidells. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt: October 2.
The Modern Vegetarian: Food Adventures for the Contemporary Palate by Maria Elia.
Forget the massive nut loafs of yore, Maria Elia's vegetarian recipes are for innovative, contemporary cuisine. Better yet, Elia shows your how to not get hung up on the whole seasonal thing by offering variations on recipes to adapt them to whatever's available.
Kyle Books: September 16.
The Meat Lover's Meatless Celebrations: Year-Round Vegetarian Feasts (You Can Really Sink Your Teeth Into) Kim O'Donnel.
Kim O'Donnel of the Meatless Monday campaign promises to assuage your "fears of cardboard tofurkey and gray starches" this holiday season. Go on, appease all your vegetarian relatives this year — Christmas Eve and New Years Eve are on Mondays this year.
Da Capo Lifelong Books: October 9.
- The Baker Creek Vegan Cookbook: Traditional Ways to Cook, Preserve, and Eat the Harvest by Jere and Emilee Gettle and Adeena Sussman. Hyperion: September 4.
- Sweet & Easy Vegan: Treats Made with Whole Grains and Natural Sweeteners by Robin Asbell. Chronicle Books: September 19.
- Virgin Vegan: The Meatless Guide to Pleasing Your Palate by Linda Long. GIbbs Smith: October 1.
- The Meat Lover's Meatless Celebrations: Year-Round Vegetarian Feasts (You Can Really Sink Your Teeth Into) Kim O’Donnel. Da Capo Lifelong Books: October 9.
- Simply Satisfying: Over 200 Vegetarian Recipes You'll Want to Make Again and Again by Jeanne Lemlin. The Experiment: October 16.
- Gorilla Food: Living and Eating Organic, Vegan, and Raw by Aaron Ash. Arsenal Pulp Press: October 16.
- Vegan Eats World: 250 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet by Terry Hope Romero. Da Capo Lifelong Books: October 30.
- Gluten-Free and Vegan Bread: Artisanal Recipes to Make at Home by Jennifer Katzinger. Sasquatch Books: October 30.
Memoirs, Histories, and Other Non-Fiction
Elegantissima: The Design and Typography of Louise Fili by Louise Fili.
A book on typography may seem a strange choice for this list, but Lousie Fili has done work on restaurant identity, logos and branding for New York restaurants for decades. Restaurants that use her work include Pearl Oyster Bar, Txikito, Mermaid Inn, Back Forty and more.
Princeton Architectural Press: September 5.
Skirt Steak by Charlotte Druckman.
While women may not be as rare a sight in restaurant kitchens as they once were, the back of the house is still by and large a man's world. Charlotte Druckman talked to over 100 female chefs for this book on what it's like to be a woman and a chef working in restaurants today.
Chronicle Books: October 24.
The Art of the Restaurateur by Nicholas Lander.
While the book may not provide much new for the seasoned restaurant industry veteran, it serves as an excellent primer to the world of running a restaurant. In a world where chefs get all the attention, it's nice to see the incredible difficult work of restaurateur get its due.
Phaidon Press: September 17.
- Meanwhile, Back at Café Du Monde . . .: Life Stories about Food created by Peggy Sweeney-McDonald. Pelican Publishing: September 15.
- The Medieval Kitchen: A Social History with Recipes by Hannele Klemettila. Reaktion Books: September 15.
- My Berlin Kitchen: A Love Story (with Recipes) by Luisa Weiss. Viking Adult: September 13.
- Thomas Jefferson's Creme Brulee: How a Founding Father and His Slave James Hemings Introduced French Cuisine to America by Thomas J. Craughwell. Quirk Books: September 18.
- Eating the Enlightenment: Food and the Sciences in Paris, 1670-1760 by E. C. Spary. University Of Chicago Press: September 26.
- Planet Taco: A Global History of Mexican Food by Jeffrey M. Pilcher. Oxford University Press, USA: September 26.
- FAME: Martha Stewart: A graphic novel by CW Cooke. Bluewater Productions: September 30.
- Pumpkin: The Curious History of an American Icon by Cindy Ott. University of Washington Press: October 1.
- The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan. Scribner: October 2.
- Bullets and Bread by Kent Whitaker. History Publishing Company: October 8.
- Consider the Fork: A History of How We Cook and Eat by Bee Wilson. Basic Books: October 2.
- The Oxford Handbook of Food History by Jeffrey M. Pilcher. Oxford University Press, USA: October 16.
- Brewing in Seattle by Kurt Stream. Arcadia Publishing: October 29.
- Recipes for Disaster: A Memoir by Tess Raferty. Thomas Dunne Books: October 30.
- Kitchen Confidential, Insider's Edition: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly by Anthony Bourdain. Ecco: October 30.
- Cuisine, Colonialism and Cold War: Food in Twentieth-Century Korea by Katarzyna J. Cwiertka. Reaktion Books: November 15.
- Ecofood, compiled by Tectum. TECTUM PUBLISHERS: October 15.
- The Secret Financial Life of Food: From Commodities Markets to Supermarkets by Kara Newman. Columbia University Press: November 20.
- Let the Meatballs Rest: And Other Stories About Food and Culture by Massimo Montanari. Columbia University Press: November 27.
- Drinking History: Fifteen Turning Points in the Making of American Beverages by Andrew F. Smith. Columbia University Press: November 27.
- Creamy and Crunchy: An Informal History of Peanut Butter, the All-American Food by Jon Krampner. Columbia University Press: November 27.
A Secret History of Coffee, Coca & Cola by Ricardo Cortes. Akashic Books: December 11.
Comfort Me With Offal: Ruth Bourdain's Guide to Gastronomy by Ruth Bourdain.
Well, yeah, anonymous internet mashup/Twitter thing/Beard Award winner Ruth Bourdain is coming out with a book. The memoir promises/threatens a food timeline, "A field guide to the modern foodie, from carniwhores to gastrosexuals"; see a preview here.
Andrews McMeel Publishing: September 4.
Modernist Cuisine at Home by Nathan Myhrvold and Maxime Bilet.
Nathan Myhrvold and his team of merry futuristic chefs are back, this time with a slightly less expensive book about using modernist techniques at home. In all seriousness, though, this book could get home cooks using techniques that before now have only been used in some of the world's best restaurants.
The Cooking Lab: October 8.
- Cooking for the Man Cave: What to Eat When Kicking Back with Family & Friends by Paul McGahren. Fox Chapel Publishing: September 1.
- Cast Iron Cookbook by Joanna Pruess. Skyhorse Publishing: August 1.
- The Home Preserving Bible by Carole Cancler. ALPHA: September 4.
- Comfort Food: Warm and Homey, Rich and Hearty by Rick Rodgers. Weldon Owen: September 4.
- Cooking in Cast Iron: Inspired Recipes for Dutch Ovens, Frying Pans, Grill Pans, Roaster, and more by Valerie Aikman-Smith. Weldon Owen: September 4.
- College Cooks: Simple ingredients, easy recipes, good tasting food by T.C. Stephan. Cool Eatz Publishing: September 10.
- Boozy Brunch: The Quintessential Guide to Daytime Drinking by Peter Joseph. Taylor Trade Publishing: September 15.
- Made With Love: The Meals On Wheels Family Cookbook by Enid Borden. BenBella Books September 18.
- Long Way on a Little: An Earth Lovers' Companion for Enjoying Meat, Pinching Pennies and Living Deliciously by Shannon Hayes. Left to Write Press: September 28.
- My Beverly Hills Kitchen: Classic Southern Cooking with a French Twist by Alex Hitz. Knopf: October 2.
- Made With Love: The Meals On Wheels Family Cookbook by Enid Borden. BenBella Books: October 2.
- The Tucci Cookbook by Stanley Tucci. Gallery Books October 9.
- True Food: Seasonal, Sustainable, Simple, Pure by Andrew Weil and Sam Fox. Little, Brown and Company: October 9.
- Tiny Food Party!: Bite-Size Recipes for Miniature Meals by Quirk Books: October 9.
- The Gluten-Free Table: The Lagasse Girls Share Their Favorite Meals by Jilly and Jessie Lagasse. Grand Central Life & Style: October 9.
- The Picky Palate Cookbook by Jenny Flake. Wiley: October 16.
- The Hungry Ear: Poems of Food and Drink by Kevin Young. Bloomsbury USA: October 16.
- Hungry Girl to the Max!: The Ultimate Guilt-Free Cookbook by Lisa Lillien. St. Martin's Griffin: October 16.
- The BrokeAss Gourmet Pizza Dough Cookbook: Amazing Recipes from Cinnamon Rolls to Calzones by Gabi Moskowitz. Egg & Dart: October 30.
- American Christmas: Recipes and Ideas to Inspire Holiday Traditions by Judith H. Dern. Weldon Owen: October 30.
- The Ganja Kitchen Revolution: The Bible of Cannabis Cuisine by Jessica Catalano. Green Candy Press: December 11.
Part One of Eater's Fall 2012 Cookbook Preview >>>
· All Cookbook Coverage on Eater [-E-]