Hey, rich kids, do you consider yourself a "young culinarian" that is looking for something to do this summer? Does the Ritz-Carlton in Charlotte, North Carolina have the camp for you. And don't worry: "cupcake competition is included."
Camp Cocoa, held inside a "state-of-the-art cooking class kitchen," is a series of five-day-long day camps in which teens aged 15-18 will "learn to master" things like pie, macarons and ice cream in "chef-led classes" of eight students or less. All for the low price of $550. Which is maybe not that expensive, except this is day camp, and "no overnight hotel stay [at the Ritz-Carlton] is included or required." So hopefully you can attend while you're on vacation with your parents, or maybe you live in Charlotte to begin with? Anyway, here's a press release:
CAMP COCOA SUMMER COOKING CAMPS FOR TEENS INTRODUCED BY COCOA LAB AT THE RITZ-CARLTON, CHARLOTTE
EACH WEEK-LONG SESSION TO PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR TEENS 15 TO 18 IN THE SWEET ART OF DESSERT PREPARATION. CUPCAKE COMPETITION IS INCLUDED.
CHARLOTTE, NC. April 18, 2012 – Cocoa Lab, the state-of-the-art cooking class kitchen for Bar Cocoa at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte, will offer a new teen summer camp experience this year, as the first-ever Camp Cocoa presents four weeklong dessert-preparation day-camps for young culinarians ages 15 to 18.
Camp Cocoa day-camp weeks will take place at The Ritz-Carlton, Charlotte over the following summer 2012 sessions: July 9 through 13, July 16 through 20, August 6 through 10 and August 13 through 17. Class content will be unlike that offered at any other teen camp, as students learn to master the following sweet dessert arts over five consecutive days of learning, cooking and tasting. Each day’s classes extend from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
· Equipment, Safety, Sanitation, Kitchen and Product/Ingredient Orientation
· Baking Formulas and Calculations
· Introduction to Doughs and Batters
· Pie Dough
· Pie Fillings
· Whole Pies / Turnovers
· Cupcake and Cake Batters: Chocolate, Carrot, Vanilla
· Icings and Cake Fillings: Vanilla-Scented Raspberry Jam, Buttercream, Cream Cheese Icing
· Cupcake / Cake Building and Decorating: Chocolate
· Cupcake Competition
· Breakfast Doughs and Batters: Muffins, Buttermilk Biscuits, Doughnuts
· Other Doughs and Batters: Pizza, Parker House, Pizza Fingers, Garlic Sticks with Cheese
· Cookies, Cookies, Cookies: Oatmeal, Thumbprint, French Macarons, Chocolate Chip
· Chocolate – White, Milk, Dark: Truffles, Fondue
· Ice Cream and Frozen Treats: Ice Cream Bases, Sorbet, Yogurt Pops, Home-Made Waffle Cones
· Custards: Lemon Curd, Puddings
Each week of chef-led classes is priced at $550 per person, is limited to eight students between the ages of 15 and 18, and provides daily lunch and a chef’s apron to keep as a memento of Camp Cocoa. A highlight of every class will be the tasting of students’ daily dessert creations, and each student will also be presented with treats to take home after each day’s session. No cooking training is required to attend Camp Cocoa, and no overnight hotel stay is included or required.
Camp reservations will be accepted at 704-547-2244 beginning April 23, 2012. Because space is limited, early enrollment is strongly recommended.