clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail Nearly Kills British Teen

New, 3 comments

Eek: a British teenager has had her stomach surgically removed to save her life after drinking a cocktail made with liquid nitrogen. According to the Guardian, Gaby Scanlon was celebrating her 18th birthday at Oscar's Wine Bar in Lancaster when she allegedly drank what's called a "Pornstar Martini." According to a cache of Oscar's Facebook page (the page has since been pulled), the drink consists of "Passion fruit, Cartel (vanilla vodka) and pineapple juice, with the bonus of a shot of Moet and Chanson!! It's AMAZING! All for £8:95" (US $14.37) and also liquid nitrogen, to create a smoky effect.

Apparently Scanlon somehow managed to ingest some of the liquid nitrogen, which caused a perforation in her stomach lining. She has immediately hospitalized and is now recovering from surgery. Oscar's has since stopped serving drinks made with the chemical. Back in April, an Atlanta bar also had an incident in which a liquid nitrogen cocktail sent a guest to the hospital. Liquid nitrogen: it's trying to kill you, or you're doing it wrong?

· Teenager Has Stomach Removed After Drinking Liquid Nitrogen Cocktail [Guardian]
· All Liquid Nitrogen Coverage on Eater [-E-]
[Photo: Oscar's / Facebook]

Oscar's WIne Bar

9 George St Lancaster, Lancashire County LA1, UK

Sign up for the Sign up for the Eater newsletter

The freshest news from the food world every day