In the wake of that horrible story in which a British teen nearly died from accidentally ingesting liquid nitrogen, the UK Food Standards Agency is planning to crack down on bars serving liquid nitrogen cocktails. According to the Daily Mail, while Health Minister Anna Soubry has said that the government does not need additional laws to regulate liquid nitrogen, she has indeed "suggested the latest drinks craze is against the law" and warned that misuse of liquid nitrogen would be considered a food safety offense, which could lead to liquor license revocation.
As such, FSA inspectors have been instructed to take liquid nitrogen use under consideration when conducting safety inspections. Per FSA Head of Incident Management Colin Houston:
The FSA will be making local enforcement officers aware of the practice of using liquid nitrogen in the use of cocktails and it will be something officers can incorporate as part of their inspection regime. We're also working with other departments and agencies to investigate the issue and whether we need to take any further action.
There doesn't appear to be any sort of outright ban in the works just yet, despite Tory MP David Morris' remarks in favor of such a ban. Meanwhile, Oscar's Wine Bar & Bistro, which was responsible for serving the British teen liquid nitrogen, has stopped selling drinks containing the gas for now.
Oscar's Wine Bar & Bistro [Photo: Facebook]